Ship flight

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    First of all I wanted to congratulate the devs on all the changes since I stopped playing, but there is something that really need to be changed and I realised it because I just began to play starmade again (I guess I was used to it before):

The lateral ship strafing need to be removed, this doesn't mean ships won't be able to go to the sides withoout really moving anymore since they will still have the vertical thrusters to push them (so if you roll to the side and use your vertical thrust you'll be able to do almost the same).
    The current strafing keys would be changed for normal turning keys, which makes more sence. I played a lot of planetside 2 and in my opinion this is the best way to manage ship flight's (example).

I think it has to be changed because it doesn't make flight look and feel natural and makes controls actually harder and unintuitive, it makes a lot of balancing problems with turnrate speeds, etc...
    This change will also make some balances possible on big ships turn rates, etc..

TLDR: Replace the lateral strafing with the mouse's lateral turning commands (so the mouse is only about vertical movement) to make flying more natural, intuitive and balanced.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    First of all I wanted to congratulate the devs on all the changes since I stopped playing, but there is something that really need to be changed and I realised it because I just began to play starmade again (I guess I was used to it before):

The lateral ship strafing need to be removed, this doesn't mean ships won't be able to go to the sides withoout really moving anymore since they will still have the vertical thrusters to push them (so if you roll to the side and use your vertical thrust you'll be able to do almost the same).
    The current strafing keys would be changed for normal turning keys, which makes more sence. I played a lot of planetside 2 and in my opinion this is the best way to manage ship flight's (example).

I think it has to be changed because it doesn't make flight look and feel natural and makes controls actually harder and unintuitive, it makes a lot of balancing problems with turnrate speeds, etc...
    This change will also make some balances possible on big ships turn rates, etc..

TLDR: Replace the lateral strafing with the mouse's lateral turning commands (so the mouse is only about vertical movement) to make flying more natural, intuitive and balanced.
    Doesn't sound very accurate though. Isn't it better to simply use a joystick? They're already supported.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i dont really understand what you are proposing, but i do feel like flight mechanics, especially for fighters need to be changed in a way so that they feel more like theyre moving and not a mobile turret.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Doesn't sound very accurate though. Isn't it better to simply use a joystick? They're already supported.
    Sorry my english is not the best so maybe I didn't explain well, ships strafing on the sides like they actually do shoudln't be happening. If you remove it flying will be better.

Reaction score
    Last I heard there are plans to redo the thrust allocation system to allow you to assign percentages to different directions. that would make combat strafing less egregious unless you seriously handicap your speed in other directions.
    More info buried in this thread .