Ship Core not spawning

Reaction score
    Hi!

I'm using current Starmade on Linux, and I experience some strange behavior with ship cores: If I try to spawn them, I'm just getting a fancy directional arrow in my astronaut. If I hit the key (which is bound to PERIOD for me, for reasons...) again, the arrow changes direction, cycling through all available orientations, but never actually spawning a ship core...

Am I doing something wrong? I remember having some trouble spawning the ship during the tutorial, too, but I somehow managed. Do I have to press anything else after seing the arrow? Or did I hit a bug?

And yes, I do have a Ship Core in my hotbar. ;)

Thanks! tinloaf

Reaction score
    • Tester
    go to the options menu and put the keybinding on another free key and then try again.
    we had a few problems of Linux/Mac keybindings screwing up in someway.
    if that is the case we have to see if that is already reported .
    (and make sure you havnt made a double keybinding for some reason)

Reaction score
    I've tried that, which did not really help (that's why that key now is PERIOD..) I have enabled the option to disallow double key bindings, so that's not the problem, either.

The behaviour is very strange: After doing some other things (like opening a menu, closing it again, something like that), the key sometimes works.

I actually have a similar behavior with my Shift key for switching between free-look/shipsteering or mousewheel-zoom/hotbar-select. Most of the time it doesn't work (even hitting it 20 times does nothing), then I wiggle the mouse a bit, do something else, and suddenly it works.

Is there a bug for this or should I open one? I have some experience in developing software and all sorts of debugging tools on my machine. I could record X events or whatever helps you. In any case I'd be happy to help!

Reaction score
    • Tester
    first remove keyboard.cfg from your starmade folder (just move it out of there) and restart the game to see if it works with the default settings from the new keyboard .cfg.
    if it does then put your keyboard.cfg in the bugreport along with a Log.txt.0 file from the logs folder from a gamesession with the problem ocuring

Reaction score
    Okay, I think I'm getting this traced down: Reverting back to the default keyboard.cfg does not help, but I noticed that for some reason, Shift "locking in" seems to be the problem. I could reproduce this:

- Start the game
    - Hit "X", a ship spawns - this works reliably, over and over again
    - Scroll the mouse wheel, the selection in my hotbar changes
    - Hit Shift *once*
    - Now scrolling the mouse wheel changes the camera zoom (without me holding Shift pressed)
    - Hitting X does nothing (probably because it now registers a capital X?)
    - Hitting Shift again does *not* toggle back to the other mode...

I guess that's not how it is supposed to be?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    that is then like CapsLock right ? .. only a software feature by double tapping the Shift Key ?

Sorry my stupid question i have no plan how that works in Linux

Reaction score
    No, actually that should work just as with any other OS, tapping Shift is just Shift..

But it seems so be some *very* weird problem: I'm using a different keyboard layout (NEO2), when I switch it back to a default layout (qwertz for Germans like me) everything works fine...

So I found a way of solving the problem, and I'm not 100% sure that Starmade can do anything about this.. Still very weird.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    OK ... than i have no idea ;)
    I do use a Win7 system and a qwertz layout (as most of us germans i guess ;) ) so .. really no idea.

you could add a description of your problem inlcuding the used OS and the way you did change the KB layout to
    http://phab.starma.de/T322 ... maybe Megacrafter can figure out what the problem is.