Ship Contiguity

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd really like if there was a way that we can have ships with floating designs stay a thing while anything not floating by design that is severed from an entity will break off. How do ships with floating designs as a blueprint spawn into a universe with breakoff enabled anyway? I have always wondered that but have been too lazy to actually teats it out myself. Do the floating parts instantly detach from the main entity?

If we had to have either breakable ships or floating components by design, only one or the other, I think breakoff is too cool a feature not to have for Starmade by default.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Well, uh...
    I mean, THIS is not very creative nor cool:
    Seriously thou.
    If that would ever be a thing, make use of your forcefield and just connect stuff to the ship... And turn off forcefield. DONE.
    And if this isn't creative enough for you, just set the minimum space between blocks (to NOT break off) to 4 blocks, for instance.
    Eventually just some kind of magical connectors with fancy graphics between them.
    I know that nobody likes changes but it's not asking about newtonian physics and structural integrity (well, what's Space Engeneers's for?), so I really don't understand why this suggestion is recieving so much hate...

Reactions: ZajcPl
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I mean, THIS is not very creative nor cool:
    I don't think anyone is going to argue against that, but if you want an example of creativity with floating blocks, check out some of TheFloorMatt's ships in community content. No one wants to see ships like that fall apart, they're just too cool.

In the case of Stations, non-connected sub stations are pretty sweet for point defense as well.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    so I really don't understand why this suggestion is recieving so much hate...
    It's not receiving hate. It is an option in the config (albeit buggy and needs more attention someday, probably when they are focusing on removing the dependence of the core), people just don't want to see it checked as default I believe.

Change the idea of the thread to "Thruster revamp" or "AI factions" or something else already confirm or being worked on and we'd probably react the same.

Open Plexdoors might be one way of connecting a ship with floating bits, but that is extra mass, which 'further penalizes' creative ships. It isn't worth that backlash for the sake of 'muh immersion'.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    if you want to retaain your floating bits when break-off is active, link them with open doors

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I don't think anyone is going to argue against that, but if you want an example of creativity with floating blocks, check out some of TheFloorMatt's ships in community content. No one wants to see ships like that fall apart, they're just too cool.

In the case of Stations, non-connected sub stations are pretty sweet for point defense as well.
    Well, stations are stationary structures anyway, so I don't see a problem here...
    About TheFloorMatt's ships... Have you even read what I wrote?
    set the minimum space between blocks to 4 blocks
    Open Plexdoors might be one way of connecting a ship with floating bits, but that is extra mass, which 'further penalizes' creative ships. It isn't worth that backlash for the sake of 'muh immersion'.
    'further penalizes' creative ships
    'further penalizes'
    Look at all these creative tanks and military planes, with tons of sticking decorations wating to be shot off...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Look at all these creative tanks and military planes, with tons of sticking decorations wating to be shot off...
    Look at all these people who have the gull to say what you can and cant build in a sandbox. Maximum Kek to you sir.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Look at all these people who have the gull to say what you can and cant build in a sandbox. Maximum Kek to you sir.
    Where did I write you can't build creative ships?
    Besides It's not me complaining about penalizing ships. If you want to build paper ships, then do it. I just wanted to point out that good-looking things rarely do their job.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'd rather good looking over grey cube any day. I build for detail. and detail takes far more effort (it's a good thing).

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Besides It's not me complaining about penalizing ships. If you want to build paper ships, then do it. I just wanted to point out that good-looking things rarely do their job.
    There was a reason I put quotations around it, I do the same for the 'Muh Immersion' and 'Muh Realism', as well as 'Muh Rofl-Wafflez'. The argruments are not my own, but rather common ones that are shared by a significant part of the community (not the majority though, we have no majorities).

Break off is an option, but buggy and, in a way, non-functional, like many other parts of the game. It will get it's love someday, and will be an option for servers, but imho is far less important than Thrust changes, HP system, rails and docking changes, creatures, NPC faction spawning, etc.

This is a thread that is basically "Muh Immersion" versus "Muh Creativity", which is absurd because there is already plans to make it an option. It's a suggestion thread about an already existing feature, and lord knows we have very little influence over the whims of Schema and how he prioritizes things.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    Sorry OP, but you need to read more sci-fi. The genre is filled with ship that are partially or completely composed of force fields and clusters of technology bound in a web of force.
    [/QUOTE]

Something something The Culture series?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    There was a reason I put quotations around it, I do the same for the 'Muh Immersion' and 'Muh Realism', as well as 'Muh Rofl-Wafflez'. The argruments are not my own, but rather common ones that are shared by a significant part of the community (not the majority though, we have no majorities).

Break off is an option, but buggy and, in a way, non-functional, like many other parts of the game. It will get it's love someday, and will be an option for servers, but imho is far less important than Thrust changes, HP system, rails and docking changes, creatures, NPC faction spawning, etc.

This is a thread that is basically "Muh Immersion" versus "Muh Creativity", which is absurd because there is already plans to make it an option. It's a suggestion thread about an already existing feature, and lord knows we have very little influence over the whims of Schema and how he prioritizes things.
    Nobody said "right here, right now".
    "Muh Immersion"
    Stop saying it. Please.
    I'd rather good looking over grey cube any day. I build for detail. and detail takes far more effort (it's a good thing).
    Hah, that's for sure. But good-looking ships are rarely good combat ships (still, nobody says they are useless). And, to be honest, cubes? Who uses them anyways?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'd love to see a non-laggy, non-buggy breakoff become the vanilla option. However, people should still be able to BUILD disconnected parts, because things falling off while I'm building sounds extremely annoying. It should only breakoff when destroyed by weapons.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Bottom line: This thread is a suggestion to increase attention to optimizing "break-off".
    I'd love to see a non-laggy, non-buggy breakoff become the vanilla option. However, people should still be able to BUILD disconnected parts, because things falling off while I'm building sounds extremely annoying. It should only breakoff when destroyed by weapons.
    I imagine disconnected bits would remain a static part of the ship's grid until the disconnected bits are actively hit.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    And if a part of this force field/ web-of-force and its cluster of tech is severed from the main, does that part continue to function as though it were not severed?
    May I present to you: the god of great starships, the Galaxy-class Enterprise D

Last edited:
    Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I imagine disconnected bits would remain a static part of the ship's grid until the disconnected bits are actively hit.
    As it currently is, as soon as the blocks get updated, the ship notices they aren't connected and disconnect. Bottom line would probably be correct though.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Sorry. I had to do it ;_;
    Freaking doom-cuber Borg!

Seriously though, I think a balance can be struck here like in many other areas to make a larger number of people happy. It should be possible to build non-contiguous things for the sake of artwork/scifi stuff. For the sake of realism, stuff that wasn't designed to float by itself should fall off when severed.

In other words, things that were originally non-contiguous are considered "still attached" while stuff that wasn't hanging off before it got blasted can float away.

The question is, can this be coded? I honestly don't know if it can be made to work in any reasonable fashion. Schema would have to get REALLY inventive to keep it from melting down client and server alike.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    In other words, things that were originally non-contiguous are considered "still attached" while stuff that wasn't hanging off before it got blasted can float away.
    I guess it will be possible after the introduction of shipyards.