ship buffs

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think that there should be a single block, that when placed on a ship can either;
    - lower your overall power requirements by a certain percentage
    - or increase your overall power cap by a certain percentage
    - or increase your overall damage by a certain percentage
    - or increase your overall shields by a certain percentage
    - or increase your overall thrust and turn rate by a certain percentage
    ...without any loss to damage, mass etc

these blocks can be known as "ship buffs". these are super rare blocks that have a 1/1000 chance to exist in the loot on big pirate stations or in big pirate ships (10k+ mass)

gives another reason to keep searching for pirates and encourage pirate hunting

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's pretty much what effects do, unless you're talking about consumables.

Kojinus

Feline Overlord
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Kind of like an "Epic" quality ship block sort of deal? 'Cause if so that'd be awesome and I'd be more than down for that. :p

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The rare items will add more content to the game.
    Maybe you could also get it from ships that float around in space that are rare and powerful.
    The block could be located somewhere in the middle of the ship and you have to be careful not to blow the block up.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That's pretty much what effects do, unless you're talking about consumables.
    no, a single block that does one of
    without any loss

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    no, a single block that does one of
    without any loss
    But I'd still like to see temporary buffs/consumables. Like, for example, an energy drink would make your crewmembers faster etc.

Reaction score
    But I'd still like to see temporary buffs/consumables. Like, for example, an energy drink would make your crewmembers faster etc.
    that would be a good way to incorporate farming into the game, instead of just for filling a hunger bar.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Perhaps, if:
    a) it was very rare (like if you played for 100 hours you might find something that increases your thrust by 5%)
    b) it was consumable, i.e. it only lasts for 2 hours or something. This way, large factions that play for a while wouldn't be able to to equip all their ships with an OP set of buffs and crush smaller factions easily. It means "should I use this buff?" is matter of you are going to lose it, not that you only lose it if you get destroyed.

Like, for example, an energy drink would make your crewmembers faster etc.
    This would actually be a pretty good buff, even if it could be made. You couldn't economically afford to have all your crew on it constantly, so it becomes a matter of when you use it. In addition, manufacturable buffs should be only one at a time (you can't have a movement and damage buff on at the same time) to make the desicion matter)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Perhaps, if:
    a) it was very rare (like if you played for 100 hours you might find something that increases your thrust by 5%)
    b) it was consumable, i.e. it only lasts for 2 hours or something. This way, large factions that play for a while wouldn't be able to to equip all their ships with an OP set of buffs and crush smaller factions easily. It means "should I use this buff?" is matter of you are going to lose it, not that you only lose it if you get destroyed.

This would actually be a pretty good buff, even if it could be made. You couldn't economically afford to have all your crew on it constantly, so it becomes a matter of when you use it. In addition, manufacturable buffs should be only one at a time (you can't have a movement and damage buff on at the same time) to make the desicion matter)
    I'm imagining a huge space Mountain Dew factory. I like.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Perhaps, if:

to me 100 hours is way too much for 5%, 25-50% is what i think would be good more rewarding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    to me 100 hours is way too much for 5%, 25-50% is what i think would be good more rewarding
    It'll probably be config'd anyway, so no point in debating the exact numbers. If it turns out people want them super common, then most likely they should be limited to one at a time

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some types of the blocks could be common but only lasts about a hour and have little effect. The rare types of the block would last about a day and have a greater effect than the common one.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would also be good as a super-rare quest reward for future quests.

"Save my daughter, Princess Veska, and I'll reward you the royal +5 thrust booster prototype from my personal yacht!"

Reaction score
    Personally, I don't find the suggestion that appealing. It leads to no point in using the current way ships/weapon systems/architecture works. In a big faction, because even if they're rare, the biggest factions are going to have the most of everything.

I say nay

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm inclined to say no to this idea in it's current form.

Was this idea to make piratestations worth attacking?

Reaction score
    Getting them would be pure luck, which can end very badly if they're OP.

Rare and special buffs are perfectly fine but they should still have specific downsides.

That way, they can still be very useful (and allow for more specialized ships) but it keeps things interesting. You would have to compensate for their downsides or hope that the enemy doesn't know and exploit that downside.

Specialization is much better and more reasonable than overpowered buffs.