ship boarding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    to board ships why not add tractor beams, guns and boarding tubes to assault other ships without damaging them so you can take it over from your own ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That sounds awesome, but you would have to be able to some how slow the ship down enough or be able to match speed and hope you can attatch while your close.I\'m sure it doable, I would love to start a carrier like ship and just keep on adding ships that have been captured or whatever.

Reaction score
    I was pretty much thinking the same thing a tractor beam and guns would be cool

but tractor beam should use lots of power or shut down when a certain power level is reached

thus making powerdrain beam accutally useful to drain the power out of ships befor they can dock on

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really like the idea of boarding, but I think it would probably shatter the balance of combat in the game, which is a little precarious as it is. As cool as boarding might be, I think for the sake of gameplay it should probably remain a cool thought, at least for now. Maybe it could be added as a feature much later on, or perhaps as a community created mod.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that could be awesome! But, We would definitely need player weapons and armour, As of now, Your avatar is just kinda there. Slow, Vunrible, And useless without a ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    guess thats true, the player should get a mini blaster like the standard ship weapon exept does like 10x less damage, and metal, rock, modules are hightly resistant to the damage (0-2 damage per hit) whereas hitting a player on foot does 10-40 damage

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or to simplify the entire situation. One weapon, high in cost and power consumption with a long recharge that will disable the ships thrusters for a short amount of time allowing you to board their ship, (if quick enough).

Problems with this idea:

1)Board their ship, they turn around and blow yours up whilst is sat there with nobody to defend it (shields will prevent this).

2)Not much you can do seeing as the pilot is stuck in the core block, unless you blow it up somehow.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Odds are boarding will become viable eventually.

Specifically, once:

1. It is possible for players to install locked internal doors and defense systems. To prevent them from just going to the core and doing such stuff.

2. Player equipment gets implimented, such that they have to craft their own suits. Naturally, this can potentially include weapons or bombs they can use inside a ship to damage it.

3. If ship health gets reworked to not revolve soley around the core, it becomes easier. I made a suggestion to this effect actually.

http://star-made.org/content/new-core-health-mechanic

If the core is no longer the end-all of ship combat, its no longer the glaring weakness and problem of boarding and ship-to-ship combat concepts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    1.small 2 block radius \"breaching charges\" (w/ cooldown to balance?)

2. a way to attach yourself to a ship (i.e. magnetic boots) or even your ship to theirs?

3. As said before a tractor beam to slow or even pull in a ship (high power consumption)

4. A way to hack PlexDoors or ship systems like their weapons and Oxygen Supply? ( Hoping they add the need for oxygen :D)

Reaction score
    You can only group up ONE module, and that ONE module can be applied to ONE ship. That ONE module can only be on the outside of a ship or anywhere else where it is not touched by any blocks of the player\'s ships, so that it would be far easier to get out of the beam.