Ship arena

Would you like to see an arena in the game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I think it would be a nice idea if you could get inside a ship and then challenge other people on the server to a ship to ship fight. If the player accepts the invite, both players get teleported to a 27 sectors-big arena with invisible barriers where they fight till one ship is overheating. The winner gets some credits as price and both return to the server with their ships returned to the original state.

Last edited:

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    A popular suggestion.

Nobody wants to prevent combat from unfolding as it does now. But adding this option would allow for duels and tournaments to exist side by side with the RTS elements of Faction war.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not a huge fan of PvP but I love this idea. Some sort of test sector where players can fight without material consequence as a way of honing design and piloting skill.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Wait, isn't this like "battle mode" or whatever it's called, that came out like a year ago? maybe we just need a way to get into that on the fly, without having to admin command, or set up the server specifically for it...
    Exactly. Something like this is already in the game, but due to almost no demand it got forgotten.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Exactly. Something like this is already in the game, but due to almost no demand it got forgotten.
    Well, the idea would be to make it integrated with regular game mode. Which I like a lot.

Reaction score
    Wait, isn't this like "battle mode" or whatever it's called, that came out like a year ago? maybe we just need a way to get into that on the fly, without having to admin command, or set up the server specifically for it...

StarMade News - StarMade 0.16 - Crafting and BattleMode

It's...it's probably broken
    I have been playing the game for over a year and I have never heared of something like this. Although I do remember reading that news somewhere. However, if nobody uses it anymore, than maybe it's time for something new.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Perhaps they could integrate a battle mode challenge into shipyards?

Reaction score
    Well that's why I linked it. I never used it because I only pvp against one other person, and we couldn't figure out the configs to get it going.

The concept of it seems to be exactly what you were looking for, but there definitely needs a better way of actually using it. having to start an entirely separate game instance is not a good way of doing it lol

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, Battle Arena mode needs to be automated in the game when two players agree to it. Naturally, it's the players' responsibility to go somewhere "safe", because their ship won't disappear from regular space. Rather, from what I remember of the Battle Mode announcement, a copy is made for the Battle Arena, and you come back to your original ship, safe and sound, regardless of how much of a beating you took in the arena.

I'm envisioning key words and phrases, possibly initiated by specific shortcuts or with specific phrases in chat.

Initiating Player:
    Hey, wanna play Battle Mode with me, jayman38?

The game itself recognizes these keywords, and in addition to displaying them in chat, the second player, in this case, jayman38 gets some sort of non-intrusive pop up (maybe a flasher on their chat system that they have to activate when they aren't busy fighting off pirates), And if they click on "Yes" or respond in chat, then it re-iterates the invitation to the initiating player, and if that player agrees within, say, 60 seconds, then both players are locked in, their ships are copied to the arena sector(s), and the players themselves are moved from their original ships (hope you found a safe harbor before accepting!) to the arena-copy ships.

Then it's game-on, and the players return to their regular ships in regular space when a winning condition is met. I'm not sure what happens when someone wins. (cash prize? ego boost? instant shield and power storage reset?)

In Team Fortress 2, a special item in inventory must be used to "challenge" another player. (Dueling pistols, if memory serves...) But I figured comm/chat is the most intuitive, non-immersion-breaking way to start up a duel in Starmade.

Reaction score
    Yeah, Battle Arena mode needs to be automated in the game when two players agree to it. Naturally, it's the players' responsibility to go somewhere "safe", because their ship won't disappear from regular space. Rather, from what I remember of the Battle Mode announcement, a copy is made for the Battle Arena, and you come back to your original ship, safe and sound, regardless of how much of a beating you took in the arena.

I'm envisioning key words and phrases, possibly initiated by specific shortcuts or with specific phrases in chat.

Initiating Player:
    Hey, wanna play Battle Mode with me, jayman38?

The game itself recognizes these keywords, and in addition to displaying them in chat, the second player, in this case, jayman38 gets some sort of non-intrusive pop up (maybe a flasher on their chat system that they have to activate when they aren't busy fighting off pirates), And if they click on "Yes" or respond in chat, then it re-iterates the invitation to the initiating player, and if that player agrees within, say, 60 seconds, then both players are locked in, their ships are copied to the arena sector(s), and the players themselves are moved from their original ships (hope you found a safe harbor before accepting!) to the arena-copy ships.

Then it's game-on, and the players return to their regular ships in regular space when a winning condition is met. I'm not sure what happens when someone wins. (cash prize? ego boost? instant shield and power storage reset?)

In Team Fortress 2, a special item in inventory must be used to "challenge" another player. (Dueling pistols, if memory serves...) But I figured comm/chat is the most intuitive, non-immersion-breaking way to start up a duel in Starmade.
    Wow, you really seem to have been thinking about this and I like the idea for the most part. Not sure about the invitation by chat though. Other than that it fits comletely in my idea of my concept.

Reaction score
    I think it would be a nice idea if you could get inside a ship and then challenge other people on the server to a ship to ship fight. If the player accepts the invite, both players get teleported to a 27 sectors-big arena with invisible barriers where they fight till one ship is overheating. The winner gets some credits as price and both return to the server with their ships returned to the original state.
    Where do the credits come from? I'd be fine with both players depositing some amount, and the winner gets to keep it all; but resources out of instanced dungeons thin air, with no risk at all, and faster than I can say "exploitable"?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Love the idea OP :3
    Where do the credits come from? I'd be fine with both players depositing some amount, and the winner gets to keep it all; but resources out of instanced dungeons thin air, with no risk at all, and faster than I can say "exploitable"?
    To make it fair, I think there should be a limit of how many duels you can do per day OR you can chose between different types of duels.
    You could have casual, which has no rewards.
    Varried terrain ones (e.g around a star)
    And competitive ones, which could have a limit, required ships to be within (x%) mass of each other and potentially require a player appointed by admins to verify. Matches could invite spectators to watch them as well.

Reaction score
    I just don't see the need for an additional game mode with all its implications - dev time, bug fixing, maintenance, customer support; most if not all of this can be done already - find a quiet corner of the universe, get together a pair of gladiators, a referee, and some spectators; charge admission fees in exchange for the sector location, and pass the collected fees as prize money.

I'd even go so far as to say this would be more entertaining and provide more content for all involved, and essentially for free, right now. When exactly would you imagine Schine realistically has the resources to implement and maintain something like this?

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    I just don't see the need for an additional game mode with all its implications - dev time, bug fixing, maintenance, customer support; most if not all of this can be done already - find a quiet corner of the universe, get together a pair of gladiators, a referee, and some spectators; charge admission fees in exchange for the sector location, and pass the collected fees as prize money.

I'd even go so far as to say this would be more entertaining and provide more content for all involved, and essentially for free, right now. When exactly would you imagine Schine realistically has the resources to implement and maintain something like this?
    I'm not saying schine should get started on this directly after the NPC update. I just hope they inplent a feature like this in the game at some point, and I'm sure many others agree.

Reaction score
    Totally agree.
    Starmade has several things going on. it would be nice to spar with someone for fun, without having to go and repair everything afterwards. of course, ppl being a-holes, what's to stop a sore loser (or sore winner!) from attacking for real?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Totally agree.
    Starmade has several things going on. it would be nice to spar with someone for fun, without having to go and repair everything afterwards. of course, ppl being a-holes, what's to stop a sore loser (or sore winner!) from attacking for real?
    I quite like that, one player could purposefully lose to learn about their opponents ship XD

Reactions: Brokengauge
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just shows that there needs to be a way of engaging an "arena mode" at a distance from your opponent.
    Maybe players can engage from anywhere by sending an invite, and both spawn in different sides of the arena in a sort of God mode.
    The players could chose the rules, etc spawn as much as you want within (x) mass, ship limits etc. Maybe even have total ship costs under or above (x) as an option.
    Both players could be limited to their 'prep' sector until they both press ready.
    Or maybe they could spend some of their allotted total mass to place turrets and traps on the map lol XD