Ship AI Modules?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Did I quick look around and haven't seen anyone else make this suggestion so thought I'd give it a go.

Anyone else here think it would be a good idea if we could set the BobbyAI or perhaps a different AI module to do simple ship controls? Nothing too complicated but I think it would be a very interesting idea if you could have multiple ships stored in the hangar of your transport ship which you could release to fly off without player intervention (this would also make single player controlled transport ships more viable/useful in standard combat).

How this could be used:

Ramming Mechanic: Would allow the creation of small unmanned ships armed with disintegrator rams. On release these would follow the nearest enemy ship in much the same manner as missiles.

Decoy ships: Picture it, your transport on flames... shields have failed and the enemy vessel has is powering up its batteries for the final assault. You run to the hangar, jump into the nearest escape pod and speed out mere seconds before the transport explodes. You watch in horror as your enemy turns its guns in your direction, only to pause as several more identical escape pods fly off alongside you. I feel the ability to make decoy escape pods could add a more interesting dynamic to the endgame of space battles.

Flare/Missile Decoy ships: Being able to release a far smaller vessels behind you who would be able to intercept/attract heat seeking missiles in your stead.

There are probably a great deal more ways it could be used also.

Anyone got any thoughts? And apologies in advance if anyone HAS posted an idea similar or identical to this already. I was unable to spot it if that's the case.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If this was implemented, the first thing I would do is make that ship from the TF G1 movie, the one that splits in half as a decoy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    ... Hadn\'t even thought of that one. Making a ship that\'s in two halves (but is technically two ships with one docked to the other) with one half being player controlled and the other using an AI module. Undock, the ship splits and half and both the player controlled and the AI controlled ship fly off in different directions.

That\'s brilliant! Though now I want a movie clip of someone managing this just before a missile hits them so it flies between the separating halves... >.

Reaction score
    just watch episode one of next generation. don\'t know if it could in the original.

Reaction score
    I like this idea its pretty cool. There was something i saw on the wiki that said this would be implemented, maybe, im not really sure..... but ai patrol and Ai command modules would be pretty great

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i\'d like if in addition to this, we could remotely enable all of our docked turrets or disable them.