Shift Brake Speed

Reaction score
    Sorry if this has been answered somewhere before, I couldn't find it..

Was wondering if there is a config setting to make the shift brake slow down my ship faster? or can someone explain how the shift brake works?

I seem to need a lot of time to brake and I'd rather be able to stop faster than I currently am able..

Thanks!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it depends on your thrust. Super high thrust ratio ships can brake very fast

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, I have found that using 's', or reverse thrust, tends to slow me down the fastest. Use the shift key when you get down >1m/s to ensure a full stop and not start backing up.

Reactions: EnerJay
    Reaction score
    Actually, I have found that using 's', or reverse thrust, tends to slow me down the fastest. Use the shift key when you get down >1m/s to ensure a full stop and not start backing up.
    I'm pretty certain before the recent changes to thrust, the "break [sic]" function was slowing down faster than reverse thrust, while at the same time requiring less energy to do so. I'm glad that has finally been fixed. Maybe one day the spelling will get fixed too...Colour me impressed, now that was quick ;)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    It feels like it doesn't take your orientation and thust-distribution into account, so you have to hold back first. Would be difficult to make it do that, though.

Reaction score
    yea the new speed, mass, thrust thing is tricky. I still end up ramming into everything. My latest trick is to spam my docking block, because the act of docking takes care of my incoming speed. The new thrust takes a lot of getting used to. it would be a huge point in small ships' favor if they didn't blow up so fast.

I generally hit shift, then s to compare. It seems like shift works better for slowing down the last leg of the journey but that s can take larger chunks off at first.

I miss being able to go sideways properly xD