Shields + Docked Ships?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a rather large harvesting/factory ship that I've been using. I find it far to big to use in combat, and so I want to make a smaller fighter that I can dock to my mothership when I encounter pirates. My question is, will the shields on the larger ship cover the docked ships as well? Will this work with turrets, too?

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    when docked yes they will work but as soon as u undock your shieldless

as for turrets its the exact same

anything connected via docks is considered apart of the ship so the shield will automatically extend around it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    anything connected via docks is considered apart of the ship so the shield will automatically extend around it

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Kai Tiger is incorrect. Docking does not extend shields around docked entities. Tested over and again on multiple servers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that the shields will one day expand to the docked ships but at the moment the mothership does not extend shields to docked ships or turrets. In the case of Turrets the mothership will share power (Only if your turret has NO power generation blocks), but nothing more.

I gathered this information based off searching the forums (I was looking up roughly same info) and the Turret Wiki Page (As it has a bit more detailed information on what interactions take place between a mother ship and a \'attached\' entity)

Reaction score
    But what if you dock the ship INSIDE the mothership, behind closed doors.

Surely the mothership shields still function as usual, covering the closed doors as well.
    In effect, then the mothership shields will fully encircle and cover the docked vessel, even if technically it doesn\'t.

Right?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thats right, the mother ship will always shield its own blocks, however I don\'t know if it would shield an open door. So as long as your pilot remembers to shut the door internal hangers would be protected by the mothership!

-ALSO-

Reverse Idea,

When docking a medium sized ship to a larger ship, you can think of the medium docked ship as extra protection to an area of the mothership, in effect creating a shield that is entirely independent to the mothership\'s shield AND power system. I have actually used this idea to my advantage in creating a mothership where the entire rear is protected through two smaller frigates.

Reaction score
    Shields do not cover open doors, so yeah like Aftershockzap said make sure your pilots shut the doors behind them. also you just made me want to put a hangar on my battleship. since all my friends have tiny little fighters, tiny compared to my ship anyway.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    On a note of functionality for this:
    Has anyone been able to activate objects (Doors, Storage, other ship cores, AI units, anything that asks you to press R) from build/flight mode? It\'s a real bummer having to get out of the ship to do such simple tasks.

I would love to have a large mothership and jump into a fighter when I enter the fray, but whenever I leave my core I get shunted out of the mothership. That very well may just be a result of a very small space around my core. Still, between that and the large span of time required to close the bay door and get back, there is an issue of practically.

Reaction score
    I guess you just need like 2 blocks high empty space by your core to get out properly

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I get shunted out of my frigate (or whatever it is) even though I have a corridor 2 high and 3 wide that leads to the core, on my new design I have 3x3 space and it works ok. Also, you can use your docking beam to remotely open doors so you don\'t have to get out of the ship.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    It is possible to activate doors by firing the docking beam at them.