Implemented Shield sharing via sliding rails

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    First of all, let me get this out of the way- I am in no way suggesting shield sharing with turrets or via axes. This suggestion pertains only to non-rotary, linear-sliding rails.

With the amazing rail system being worked out, this seems like a necessary addition. Unlike turrets, things that are attached via rails are largely treated as components of their host, rather than as (mostly) independent ships that happen to be stuck in place. Thus, it is only reasonable they should enjoy the same protection as the structure they're a part of. If anything, it's outright necessary for any external placements. And who wouldn't like to see retracting bridges, sliding hangar doors, or why not entrance elevators?

Reactions: jorgekorke

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The only question/concern I have is if things attached Via rails can operate a BobbyAI. They have their own core, so count as a separate entity, which is a concern to me, one of those who like to build fix docking weapons over turrets or onboard weapons.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The only question/concern I have is if things attached Via rails can operate a BobbyAI. They have their own core, so count as a separate entity, which is a concern to me, one of those who like to build fix docking weapons over turrets or onboard weapons.
    What about we remove their ability to receive shielding once a bobby AI and weapons are both present on the entity?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    What about we remove their ability to receive shielding once a bobby AI and weapons are both present on the entity?
    Might be easier to just fix it to Rails disable BobbyAI the same as if someone was inside the core, but even then it doesn't sound future proof because eventually NPCs will be able to enter cores. All I know is I want pop out, logic fired guns to derp around with for RP, but I don't want Fix docked weapon arrays to get stupidly powerful, they seem to be at least balanced compared to turrets right now in my opinion.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Shield sharing is definitely something that will need to be supported as ships utilizing rails become more modular due to the way they would then be built.

Turrets will be addressed separately.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Thank you. I'd have settled for an on-topic reply, but hey, if it's official developer confirmation too I'm not complaining.