Shield sharing for docked objects

Following the Rails and HP updates, should docked entities share shields with the parent entity?

• Aye

Votes: 9 81.8%
    • Nay

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yes, this again. But before you burn me for heresy and for bringing this up again, hear me out.
    Since the Rail Update has allowed for more versatility with docking, and the HP Update has allowed for better combat (instead of so called 'core tunneling'), I feel that this addition is a must.

So, I suggest that docked entities share shields with the parent entity. With the additional versatility brought about by the recent Rail Update, docking has seen a great increase of use for interior and exterior objects.

Many people will remind me that docked objects are basically moving parts, and such, by reason, they should be weaker, and this is where I bring up the HP Update. Since 'core tunnelling' is no longer a viable strategy, instead using HP and Armour points, I will simply suggest that the ship do not share HP and Armour, this will suitably weaken the moving parts in relation to the rest of the ship, but not weaken them to the point where people are afraid to use them.

If you deem it too over powered (I don't feel it is) then perhaps you could cap the shield power that the docked items get based on size, or create a 'tax' that the docked entity's shields get penalised by.

As always, this is free to debate below, but if you are rude you won't be winning any points. I will just debate harder.

Thank you for listening.

Reaction score
    Shields do share parent to docked, but not docked to parent

Edit: and only to 50% of the parents shields so if the shields drop below, docked things aren't protected anymore

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would also like to see thrust, scanner block count, and FTL block count sharing (so that thrust, scanning, and FTL charge times can be intelligently managed with multiple docked entities). Maybe even 25% (server configurable) power generation and storage sharing (not as efficient as a dedicated docked reactor entity, but it's also not completely dead weight).

Reaction score
    Docked entities do share shields, its only until the main ship hits 49% then the docked entity is on its own. Now if the docked entity has shields and takes a hit those shields will be used first before the main ships. Once the docked entities shields are down it uses the main ships.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I am with you though that shield sharing doesnt seem to be working for me.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    You are playing Version 0.19320 ?
    Because in 0.19318 there was a bug with it. (Missiles ignored shield share)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I havent looked in the newest version but before my turrets shields wouldnt increase when docked to another ship

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree with this, if an actual ship were to be made, the moving parts would be just as protected as the actual ship, since they are still one entity. While it makes sense for them to be destroyed without doing any damage to the parent, it would be nice if the full shield affect would carry over to the docked entity.