Shield plates.

Reaction score
    This concept may be of use for those who lament the lack of shield buffer on their capital ships.

Independently powered plate-ships mostly made of shields , preferably 12x12 (maximum size allowed by a simple docking module) without a great regen , but adding up much more shield capacity than their equivalent volume in linked shield blocks.

Shield plates can overlap somewhat while docked , without immediate physics issues. It's fairly easy to produce an airtight coating of those , but may take a while on the larger ships.

Ship blocks can intersect with docked plates outside of the restricted green volume , so weapon systems and extra cockpits (you'll need those) can reach outside the shell without compromising protection.

Tactically , they are to be considered as large hull blocks (that regenerate) as shield plates from the back will not help those being shot in the front. Note that the sheer number of ship signatures might make foreign ship signatures harder to track , while you'll be obvious the second you show up.

It may be more advantageous for capital ships with high shield regen to keep shield plates on the inside , as a backup to protect the core and other critical systems when shields go down. Docking replacement plates can be rather bothersome , after all.

Reaction score
    So does a docked ship have its shield disabled?

What happens when the carriers shields are out and you fire directly at its docked ships?

Reaction score
    That somewhat looks like reactive armor IRL, haha. And each docked ship got its own shield. If the main shield is out, the shield plates are still active. You have to take each out individually, I think.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I may incorporate this into my next refit. many thanks for the concept :D stakhanov

Reaction score
    Great minds think alike! But I was thinking, if you made the shield plates a checkaboard pattern allowing 50% of the damage to pass through then it would act more like a shield extender. You could then layer shield plates under neath for sections that are more sensitive - or two half sections. Ill post screen shot at some point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    id still like to see a ship that looks nice and has this sort of thing implemented