What do you think

• Total voters

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Definitely no. This sounds incredible OP.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dr. Whammy , you have quite a paradox going on here in this post. On the one hand, you are bragging about how your small, well designed ship can take on a considerably larger ship and potentially win if well piloted. You then follow that up with a claim that large ships are invunerable to smaller ones.

Reactions: Lecic

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Dr. Whammy , you have quite a paradox going on here in this post. On the one hand, you are bragging about how your small, well designed ship can take on a considerably larger ship and potentially win if well piloted. You then follow that up with a claim that large ships are invunerable to smaller ones.
    Not really. Smaller ships in the 3,000-5,000 mass range typically have enough maneuverability to make a fight interesting. You can also turn and run if things get too crazy. Fights between small ships are like two welter weight boxers dancing around the ring. One may have an initial advantage but if he screws up, it can quickly turn the tide of a battle.

Bigger ships tend to be like heavy weight wrestlers (real wrestling; not WWE). It often turns into a "who's stronger"/"who can last longer" type fight and you usually already know the outcome.

Edit: big ship vs small ship? Well, you already know the outcome of that too.

The whole point of this debate is and always has been, that players in big ships invariably target players in smaller ships like some kind of schoolyard bully. Otherwise, we wouldn't care what they do in their 100K bricknoughts if they left us alone. The galaxies in this game are huge so there is no need for such agressive behavior. As long as there are lame asses who pick on weaker factions for cheap thrills, you will always hear the argument that small ships/warheads need a buff and/or capitals need a nerf.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    "If shield rechargers or capacitors need a buff, then we’ll simply change the config values."

From the patch notes, and this is essentially exactly what i've heard before regarding this patch, any further buff/nerf to shields once SSU's were gone is pretty much going to be handled by the config values (which means yes you can mess around with starmade/data/configs/BlockBehaviourConfig.xml and find a balanced shield config to send onto one of those yellow name people if you'd like, this is something very much on peoples minds right now because the shield phase dynamic just changed a whole lot)

tl;dr I highly doubt an Aux shield block is necessary or really being considered, however balance changes to shield cap/recharge are quite likely.

As for small ships needing a buff?

builds ships and try and fight with them you'll see why, it's pretty much too obvious to explain but they're already so much stronger by weight, I reckon you guys pushing this would have fun for about a week until you start seeing the problems yourselves (that is if you actually do PvP, and not just "weapons tests")

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don't see any balance changes to shields being necessary. The majority of people NEVER used them, and weapons and shields haven't had any balance changes since shield injectors were first discovered and utilized. I think it'd be a huge mistake for Schine to listen to the whiners who can't survive without was, to be completely honest, a broken and overpowered system, and buff shields because of it.

Az14el

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    If anything the only change I would really push for shields it some QOL on the recharge, namely doubling the tick rate and halving the per tick just to make it a little more constant, instead of just two ticks a second

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Broken and overpowered? Never used? What exactly are you referring to?

To be honest, I'd have to say that fixing turret AI would be a much better buff than any shield modification. The ability to shoot down multiple missiles at once would boost survivability of ALL ships; big and small. Let's face it; missiles are, by far, the biggest threat to small ships.

WTF!? I can't believe I'm actually arguing against missiles... :eek:

Az14el

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Broken and overpowered? Never used? What exactly are you referring to?
    I'm guessing docked shield supply, in which case I completely agree, it was broken as shit and was essentially just an alternate but stronger, cheaper & more reliable way to get shield recharge. As it got around under-fire recharge & combat downtime.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm guessing docked shield supply, in which case I completely agree, it was broken as shit and was essentially just an alternate but stronger, cheaper & more reliable way to get shield recharge. As it got around under-fire recharge & combat downtime.
    Gotcha, Yeah. I've only used it once. The effect is negligible on small ships so I have no use for it. What do you think about the point defense alternative? Could that fix the issue of survivability and still be balanced?

Az14el

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Gotcha, Yeah. I've only used it once. The effect is negligible on small ships so I have no use for it. What do you think about the point defense alternative? Could that fix the issue of survivability and still be balanced?
    Aye point defence is technically really good.... until you fire one fast missile intentionally in the wrong direction...
    I reckon they're pretty good at what they do as far as accuracy, they're just too easily cheesed due to their simple AI.