Shield Emitter Block Alternative Idea

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just read an interesting idea for shield emitters by apelsinsaft.

Shield Emitter Blocks: The solution for "Gigantism" and fighters.

I like the idea of an emitter, but I thought of a different implentation.

If it were me, I would use the same principle as the area activation blocks.
    This would remove tons of shield and recharger blocks from the entity (ships/stations/etc) internals to the outside.
    Have an emmitter/controller/charger (recharger replacement) and operate similar to the area activation

controller.
    The existing shield blocks can then be replaced with an invisible area activation trigger type block. Although, it could still have the same texture in build mode, but have it 60%-80% transparent. The

controller would essentially be controlling the strength by whatever power is channeled into it. Would

open up a different kind of energy bank and shield bank management.

This would also allow us to shape the shield any way we want. An oval/sphere around the centre of mass or centre of the entity could be auto generated (Maybe make this the default) and then the user could also cover whatever sections of the ship they want, or start custom.

You would also have multi-emitter capability. You could build emitter assemblies for forward/aft/port/starboard or go crazy with mega-segments.

Collision detection could be handled differently, or it could simply be similar to having a ship surrounded by glass blocks with variably controlled strength.

The existing shield effect would be configured to only work on these new shield blocks, so you only see the effect and not the block. Should look interesting.

*UPDATE*

With shield surrounding the ship/entity, if the power is down or it is off. It would be like opening a plex door, so there is no force. Perhaps have the shield module component (i.e. area trigger type) have no mass, but is solid (but invisible) when active and disappears like plex doors when inactive or off.

Oh and extending it to docked entities would not be necessary, because you just build the shape around everything. Or not, if you want to live dangerously. :)

To simplify configuring the shape, one could use the same sliders used for the select box.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I like this idea better than the other thread. However, I am a tad bit leery of changing all together the way that current shields work. I think these ideas need to be revisited after we have better AI and empires in the game. Then maybe ideas like this one can be used as a means for balancing the game.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    With the rapid updates these days, that could be sooner than we think. :)

One thing I should do is flesh out the idea a bit more. If it were implemented, the mass of the ships would go down and would only require power. Have a shield you can activate/deactivate with & without logic would also be great for game play. This would be great with a real or AI crew.

I agree, the AI needs major investment, but it shouldn't hold up running with this or similar idea.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    With the rapid updates these days, that could be sooner than we think. :)

One thing I should do is flesh out the idea a bit more. If it were implemented, the mass of the ships would go down and would only require power. Have a shield you can activate/deactivate with & without logic would also be great for game play. This would be great with a real or AI crew.

I agree, the AI needs major investment, but it shouldn't hold up running with this or similar idea.
    This is true. I really do like the idea anyway. Like I said I'm leery about changing the shields, but that is mostly because I like being able to make impossible things. However, this idea would make sense in the game and would add a bit more realism to shields.