Shield Chambers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Can anyone help me understand exactly what the shield hotspots are and how they work. They are supposedly shield resistance bonuses based on what type of damage (fast or slow, constant or alpha, and what exactly decides alpha vs fast). Thanks in advance!

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Defense chambers boost a ship's defenses in the way you set them to. There are two main types of defense enhancement bases; armor enhancement and shield enhancement. (The next two sentences are iirc.) The armor enhancement base has branches for armor regeneration and strength and maybe one more thing. The shield enhancement base has branches for resistance to different weapon types, regeneration, strength, and maybe power consumption. The resistance types "modulate" your shields to the "frequency" of the weapon types they protect against.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for the response, and please don't take this the wrong way but, that infomation is pretty useless. It's just describing the structure of the chamber tree and written description of the branches. I was more looking for exactly what happens when an alpha weapon hits a alpha resistant shield. Like the actual formulas for reduced damage, extra shield hp, or w.e it is. The tooltip just shows hotspot range and hotspot % it doesn't describe, in numbers, exactly what they do to your shields.

Also what exactly, in numbers, is an alpha weapon. I understand verbally that its a slow firing high damage weapon. But that changes a lot depending on ship size in this game, does that affect the shield resistance bonus? Is alpha just a certain threshold for damage period in the games eye, so for example a larger ship would classify its weapons as both alpha and fast firing because it has very large cannon cannon setup? Etc... theres a ton of questions here that I would need to have answered to have an informed choice on whether or not to use the alpha resistance chamber that seemingly is just not present. If I knew the formulas I could answer all the questions for myself but they aren't displayed in the tooltips.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Serene-Switch

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Alpha weapons are slow to recharge and deliver everything at one big punch.
    The opposite "Omega" pew pew pew weapons like beams and machine gun have many small punches.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alpha weapons are slow to recharge and deliver everything at one big punch.
    The opposite "Omega" pew pew pew weapons like beams and machine gun have many small punches.
    I understand that. Still it doesn't help. 30000dmg could be alpha for a small ship and the same weapon with extra cannon supports on a larger ship could fire as fast as a omega weapon. But how would this effect the ship getting hit. Again I need the formulas for the new shield chambers to know this.

Reactions: jaytime104
    Reaction score
    I understand that. Still it doesn't help. 30000dmg could be alpha for a small ship and the same weapon with extra cannon supports on a larger ship could fire as fast as a omega weapon. But how would this effect the ship getting hit. Again I need the formulas for the new shield chambers to know this.
    I don't know (and it's probably all going to change when the weapon update arrives anyway so I don't see the point in testing to find out); but I'd be tempted to assume that it depends on the type of weapon and nothing else. For example, maybe all "missile:pulse" weapons (with 90 second reload time) are considered "high damage" regardless of their size and damage; and maybe all "cannon:cannon" weapons (with 0.1 second reload time) are considered "low damage" regardless of their size and damage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't know (and it's probably all going to change when the weapon update arrives anyway so I don't see the point in testing to find out); but I'd be tempted to assume that it depends on the type of weapon and nothing else. For example, maybe all "missile:pulse" weapons (with 90 second reload time) are considered "high damage" regardless of their size and damage; and maybe all "cannon:cannon" weapons (with 0.1 second reload time) are considered "low damage" regardless of their size and damage.
    This is what Ive come to imagine is most likely as well but I suppose you might be right and its better to just a year or two for everything to be settled.