Shield bubble

X_

Reaction score
    Hello,

I think it might be a fun idea to add a shield bubble, you know, as you see in most of the sci-fi movies, I don't know if it is possible, but it would be pretty cool in my opinion.

Sincerely,
    Me.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    We already have shields, whose animations work just fine. What would justify this big coding change? In all the Sci Fi movies I\'ve seen, the shields have been as close to the thing projecting them as possible.

Not to rain on your parade, but it just seems kinda pointless.

Reaction score
    Zyrr, I\'m pretty sure there are no animations for shields right now.

What would be interesting about a shield bubble would be the need to place shields generators all around your ship in order to make the bubble actually cover it all, as well as the potential to \"get under\" the shields.

While it\'s a neat idea, I have to agree with Zyrr that it would be a ton of work for very little reward, and certainly not something I would put high on a priority list of things to implement.

TL;DR: Cool idea, maybe later.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When you are damaged while having a shield you see a ripple effect of where you were hit of different colors depending on how damaged your shield was.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That is, have the shields actual \"hit cross section\" ALSO be a bubble. If a good way can be found for calculating this bubble so that it doesn\'t go inside the ship and doesn\'t eat up processor time or resources, this would potentially encourage some forms of ship design a bit more (and depending on the method the bubble is calculated may discourage giant cross-ships). Being a cube-based game, it may need to be a \"cube bubble\" though.

X_

Reaction score
    It is pointless, but I think it would be fun.

Reaction score
    that the gungans used in Phantom menace?

if you create a planet base, then you could have shield bubbles for different buildings

Reaction score
    It would be possible to make a bubble around ship, and then subtract vertices towards the core like clothing, to cover the ship. This would effectively give you effects like hangar-bay shielding. To top it off, the shield bubble could be used for collision, and naturally this sphere can be way lower polygon count than massive chunk of cubes. That would increase server performance great deal.