Shadows and background

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As much as i want to play this game,i got a feeling that it will never see daylight.It really hates Nvidia graphic cards.Shadows and background is causing game crashing.It loads to 100% and than give this error:
    NVIDIA OpenGL Driver:
    Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to run the application.Application must close.
    Error code:6
    Would you like to visit
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3008 for help?
    And also VBO bulk mode is causing game to act weird http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r714/Nebojsa_Salaj_Kovacevic/starmade-screenshot-0007_zpsa584c506.png .All that white thing is black,but screenshot made it white for some reason.

I'm using GeForce GTX 660.all drivers are up-to-date

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Saying it hates nvidia cards is unfair. I\'ve got a GeForce 560ti and i\'ve never had a single problem related to the driver or the card itself

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    It should be solved by updating to latest video drivers and updating java.
    One of this will help in most cases.
    If not, please report back. =)

- Andy

Reaction score
    This is related to shadow bugs, but not to the OP\'s bug (didn\'t know if it was a seperate enough issue to warrant a new thread)

My shadows are very ugly and don\'t properly connect to lights, both artificial and natural--there\'s a very hard edge between light and dark areas (plus lights in general just don\'t give off that much...light...) Also, they\'re super dark. Like pitch black dark. I know it\'s going for \"realism,\" but unless the helmet has a light on it or the ship lights get more optimized, it\'s impossible to play with shadows turned on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What Greenfire said. I\'ve wasted more time since this patch rolled out trying to re-balance lighting. I went through every render setting I could: Bump mapping on/off, AA off/2/4/8, every texture pack at every bit depth, etc. And the only thing that gets lighting even remotely close to usable is disabling shadows entirely. I spent some time yesterday collecting screencaps so I could make a thread about this.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Try reducing the texture resolution in case the \'does not meet min spec\' wont go away, it seems to be a miscalculation on some driver/card combinations.

@thread/shadows:

Yes the lightning system got overhauled from scratch.
    Without shadows its sometimes a bit dark, forcing you to increase lightdensity a bit, but is much more consistent in total (no more big black single blocks at corners).

Shadows enabled, also makes things go worse, very costly and it even get a bit darker. (Big bases with large shadows tend to pitch to darkness on one or two sides).

So yes, its sort of \'not balanced out yet\'.
    There needs to be something like a \'exterior light block\'.
    Maybe the \"Plexlight\" (glowing one), should have the same intensity as a normal light, BUT with maybe 20 times the radius, causing it to enlight a large area of around 50 blocks in diameter or so.

- Andy

Reaction score
    I get the OPs error message when trying to load the game with 4096 resolution procedural backgrounds.

I have a 660Ti