Setting thrust output

Reaction score
    Hello,
    ive been playing Starmade for a long time and what always bothered me was that i had to hold down the directional movement key (eg. w) to get my ship in that specific direction. This system is ok and with the ability to turn damping off it has become very easy to fly through space without me locking the w key down via a coin or similar. But, and this is a huge but, as far as i like cruising through the galaxy in my fancy ship im more into maneuvering through narrow spaces or around stations and having a littel skirmish with bigger ships. Combat gets really messy when you always have to mash down the a or d keys to get around the enemy ship in a orbital like state, attacking from multiple directions, while dodging the enemy fire.

My suggestion is that you can set the thrust output via a button combination so that your ship gets constant thrust in the direction you want it to move. This way i can set the speed to 30 m/s, and then turn around using only my mouse. This way flying around a ship in a fast vessel feels more dogfighty and less having to push three buttons and moving the mouse, while also controling speed to not overhoot my targeted location, during an intense fight. The faster you are the slower your ship turns, which would open the way for directional thrusters on ships for maneuvering in a hangar or towards a docking bay/platform/etc. .

Its a small feature (i hope - i dont know much about programming) which can have a huge impact in dogfight scenarios. I thinks its kinda boring having the ships hovering around each other in a drone-like state, facing each other and not trying to ouwit someone by better maneuvering. Let me hear your thoughts, and sorry for this long text but i kinda wanted to explain myself properly.

Regards

Reactions: terra mining corp.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    It's space. If you have your thrust set like that you'll get destroyed by someone who actually uses the 6 degrees of freedom properly.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Eh, this would actually be really annoying in combat, but I could see other purposes for being able to throttle your auto dampeners to a different % of your thrust. The current default setting is incredibly weak.

Reaction score
    This seems like a "throttle" system, where you raise the throttle to raise the constant speed. That's only really useful in docking, and you shouldn't really be flying a 3:1 ttm ratio ship around in close quarters.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah, I'd really just appetite a thrust vector part of the ui

Reaction score
    Yes throttle system, thats what i meant thank you :)

If someone uses all his keys he would just outkite me atm, thats right, but its also very unrealistic to have an engine in the back which can give me the same amount of thrust in all directions. I think different direction thrusters are also a good idea but only for docking. Even if its space, the direction your spacecraft goes should also be achievable by turning the nose of your ship. To move your ship along the other axis, thrusters alinged to these axis could give you the momentum in that direction, as mentioned in other threads. I just thought being able to control the direction of you ship via mouse could be cool, as well as i can fix problems with joysticks.

Reaction score
    Yes throttle system, thats what i meant thank you :)

If someone uses all his keys he would just outkite me atm, thats right, but its also very unrealistic to have an engine in the back which can give me the same amount of thrust in all directions. I think different direction thrusters are also a good idea but only for docking. Even if its space, the direction your spacecraft goes should also be achievable by turning the nose of your ship. To move your ship along the other axis, thrusters alinged to these axis could give you the momentum in that direction, as mentioned in other threads. I just thought being able to control the direction of you ship via mouse could be cool, as well as i can fix problems with joysticks.
    Yea. But you never know. Maybe we're all on docking mode and the thrusters are just RCS.