Server to Server Gate/Portal?

Reaction score
    A little late here but I figured I'd just post to this thread instead of making a new one...with a poll :eek:

Anyway, I think this kind of functionality built-in (default disabled in configuration) has a lot of potential for opening the door to increased collective interaction. Clusters of factions and worlds interacting, groups of people coming into contact with one another, forming alliances, enclaves, and coalitions in the game. New space lanes opening up and connecting trade hubs of alien communities. Wars breaking out. Piracy on the rise. Fleets and space patrols. Bounty hunting is profitable. Jump through a gate into wonderful alien spectacles and feats of engineering or to a war torn region of space. Lot's and lots of possibilities.

The lore works; transition players using controlled warp gates, a random/admin chosen wormhole, or even a space anomaly. A simple gain other than universe expansion and social opportunities would be the introduction of new unique catalogs as players come and go.

Server administrators gain by networking with other server administrators which in turn broadens their resources for communicating ideas, sharing practices, and community server support. Server admins should be given a wide range of options. Some examples might be shared concatenated whitelists/blacklists; or even a future global bans service, restrict travel based on conditions like whether the user is in the registry, upgraded, session, and even based on faction(s), and an option to choose whether all server->server gateways are marked on the map or not. MOTDs would stay the same and show up as necessary but should be the main notice to the player that they've connected to another world outside the normal entered system notification. On top of that there can be a global administrator-only chat channel. Load bearing is also spread out across servers as they start sharing player load. An earlier user described setting the server as public or private, which I agree would be good. Let administrators tag their server as Role-Play, Creative, or PvP (or some kind of meta identifying a desired game play type) too.

There would also need to be the inclusion of settings and mod syncing. When the modding API is released servers can easily compare mod-lists and prevent linking if they're not the same. As for settings this would be something generally agreed upon by server administrators. Since server settings can vary, syncing ensures that connected worlds share the relatively same game configuration.

The main point is bringing people closer to each other in the game even while expanding (the universe, opportunities, communities) it. The way I see it this would enable intricate networks of servers to be formed that connect communities of people rather than just space.