Server option to disable planet mining

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Simple enough.

server.cfg -> option to disable planet mining.
    When option is enabled, non-astronaut salvage beams do not have any effect on planet plates at all. Of course, I think astronauts should always be able to mine planets to prevent getting stranded.

Reaction score
    I'd like to expand upon this a little by saying that planets should have reason to be colonized (other than for being a faction home). Possibly something like an expensive core mining device to be placed on a faction'd planet that outputs some random ore (and shards) every 30 minutes or so, and would keep a time stamp for when the chunk unloads, which would be reset and produce the amount of ore (and shards) that the device would have in the time that the sector was unloaded (with system ownership also affecting the amount the device gives per cycle).

Winterhome

Reaction score
    I'd like to expand upon this a little by saying that planets should have reason to be colonized (other than for being a faction home). Possibly something like an expensive core mining device to be placed on a faction'd planet that outputs some random ore (and shards) every 30 minutes or so, and would keep a time stamp for when the chunk unloads, which would be reset and produce the amount of ore (and shards) that the device would have in the time that the sector was unloaded (with system ownership also affecting the amount the device gives per cycle).
    This suggestion has been gone over in a few dozen separate threads :P
    I support it, of course.

Reaction score
    Well, I figured, but I haven't really seen them as of late. I just thought that salvagers should do what their name implies, salvage, not mine. I do enjoy the thought of mining asteroids (a renewable resource that is also not terribly server resource intensive to mine) rather than mining a planet half-way or completely, which may kill the server for anywhere from 15 seconds to 40 minutes (sometimes 12 people decide to use their planet crackers all at once and mine a few planets while they kill the server's performance).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    One minor problem, the way the game works now you need entire planets worth of resources to build ships. Even if you could find a whole field of rammet/sertise roids that wouldn't actually go very far towards the mutli-100k/million point shields need to defend against the monster missile arrays build from common ores

Winterhome

Reaction score
    One minor problem, the way the game works now you need entire planets worth of resources to build ships. Even if you could find a whole field of rammet/sertise roids that wouldn't actually go very far towards the mutli-100k/million point shields need to defend against the monster missile arrays build from common ores
    easy solution: build smaller ships and take the big ones you have more seriously

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    OP's suggestion is good as it would greatly increase server performance for online hosting. However, I would say we should also take it a step further and have asteroids be bigger in turn, and have config options to decide how dense the minerals are packed into the asteroids (current asteroid mining yields only a tiny fraction of the resources you can get from a planet if you go and mine for 30 minutes from either source).

Reaction score
    OP's suggestion is good as it would greatly increase server performance for online hosting. However, I would say we should also take it a step further and have asteroids be bigger in turn, and have config options to decide how dense the minerals are packed into the asteroids (current asteroid mining yields only a tiny fraction of the resources you can get from a planet if you go and mine for 30 minutes from either source).
    The simpler option is just to disable planet mining and at the same time increase the mining bonus multiplier. The main side effect is that smaller ships will get higher yields than before. Which is fine with me.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I really think this is a good idea, and also I think Planr's point is very important, there needs to be a config value for the mean asteroid size like planets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    easy solution: build smaller ships and take the big ones you have more seriously
    I'd love to build smaller ships, however the twitch kiddies roaming around shooting at anything that moves makes that unviable

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This idea would be handy, servers wouldn't have to ban planet mining at this point but with some of the other ideas here boost asteroid mining to compensate.