Server making

Reaction score
    Hey every one me and my friend have played on many servers and in each one we where greifed

so I was wondering what is the quickest and easiest way to make a server with out paying for an expensive program. And bear in mind I have never made a server for anything before so I will need specific instruction.

Reaction score
    There appears to be good information relating to this here:
    http://wiki.starmade.rtag.me/wiki/index.php?title=Multiplayer

You can Google or YouTube and find many guides on how to port forward for games.
    There are also sites like: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm that will allow you to pick your router/game and guide you over the process.
    *Note: StarMade may not be listed, but you should be able to use another game and just substitute the port numbers for those that StarMade requires for \'compatability\' be sure to create a TCP and UDP rule.

Google is your friend as it YouTube, the basics of port forwarding can be transfered from game to game simply by changing the port numbers and protocols that the game requires and it is not too hard to get your head around how this works.

If you are going to setup a server these are my recommendations of things you should learn/do to make it easier once everything is working:

1. Set up the computer you will host the server up on with a Static IP Address.
      This is an \'internal\' IP Address so that when you port forward, things will not break because your router decided it wants to give your computer a new IP address on your internal network.
      You can either set your computer with a Static IP Address or configure your routers DHCP Service to assign the same IP Address to the server this means that internally the servers IP would never change, but is a little harder to setup sometimes.

2. Port Forward the ports and protocols required for StarMade to run pointing to the server computer\'s IP Address.
      These are all mentioned in the first link I posted.
    3. Go to http://www.noip.com/ sign-up for an account(you do not need to pay for anything) and under Hosts/Redirects along the top Add a Host, Give it a name and select a domain from the drop box and then press Add Host.
      You do not need to touch any other options.
      Take note of the full name you created as this will be what you give your friends.

If you do not want to do this, you can just use google and search for:
      What is my ip address
      Google will provide you with your \'Public IP Address\' this is the address you need to give your friends with the StarMade port number and that is all, you do not need to do any other the other points I mention below.
      Note that your external IP Address can/may change depending on your internet service provider and also plan so you may need to do this daily, weekly, or monthly, it all depends how often your IP changes hence I suggest a dynamic DNS system.

[*]From the same site down the side there should be an option to Download Client.
    Download and install this on your StarMade server, you will need to use the credentials you registered with to allow it to connect and keep your IP updated.
    This Client will keep your external IP Address updated automatically so you do not have to keep getting your external IP address and giving it to your friends.

[*]Once all this is done, everything should be right to go, start up the StarMade server once the No-IP Client is all up and running and get your friend to login using the server address you created.

From there refer to the info in the first link I posted and you should be up and running!

Hope this helps.