Server Crashing Bug

Reaction score
    On mpnetwork we encountered a unique bug/error. If you have a very large ship and you approach a station you will cause massive FPS lag to anyone in the sector as well as increasing serverwide ping to 2000-8000. It also spams the console with the following.

[Aug 12, 2013 6:48:57 PM] STDERR: [ERR] [CUBECUBE] CUBECUBE COL: 50 ms; NarTests: 0; overlappingSingleBlockAABBs: 0; handle: 42592 of MAX 7464960; DistiTime: 0;NarrTime: 0; Oct: 0 call(0) retr(0) aabb(0); on Ship[Hel](1049): COUNT 1659; TOTEl 186645; SpaceStation[ENTITY_SPACESTATION_Zion(1054)]: COUNT 981; TOTEl 129327 on Server(0);OverlappingBOX A

We have been testing it over and over and have come to the conclusion that if you where to draw a cuboid around the ship based on its height/width/length. And do the same for the station, when thsoe two cuboids intersect FPS drops to less than 1, and server ping jumps for the entire server, people are unable to spawn or load objects.

If you need more detail, please specify below.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The cause of that problem is simple, yet complicated.

The physics collision detection had a bountind box around all entitys, when the 2 intersect, the game then checks the position of every block in ship one against every block in ship 2, to see which blocks colided, and then impliment physics reactions based on that. it is a VERY accurate system for colision detection. the only problem is when you get ships with hundreds of thousands of blocks, or in the case of large ships 1-2 million blocks, thats ALOT of calculations, and considering the collision detection checks way more than 1 time per second, you can quickly see how that can create lag. currently in order to solve the problem schema would have to re write the physics colision system

Reaction score
    Dont bring a large ship into the station\'s area or build hangers for large ships. Even a ship with only 50k blocks causes this issue.

Reaction score
    Sadly thats not a solution, since with how shields work you HAVE to dock a ship if you are not offline. Otherwise anyone and anything could kill it if they found a turret blindspot, or from range.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yea, this problem is killing me, and the server I play on.

The biggest problem is that it drops your FPS down to 1-2fps for several sectors around the problem. And watching GPU usage, the GPU usage from starmade will drop to 1% when this happens. When trying to dock a ship, it\'s not possible with that low framerate since controls do not respond and you continue lagging the server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is riddiculious. This bug leaves the client at 1 fps and the server in a near crashing state. You cannot move the ship away or even manuver around to see the problem. An admin has to struggle to try and type commands in (which don\'t register keystrokes at 1fps) to delete all the ships in the sector.

This is completely game breaking, if two objects cannot get close without extreme effects.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It even fucks up in singleplayer. The server becomes unresponsive, with only 2 or 3% cpu usage. While the client is down to less than 1 fps at 2-3% GPU usage.

In this case, it was a turret that undocked from a ship, alll 35 turrets actually. 1 of them is causing the issue and there is no way to figure it out, it takes ~20 minutes to destroy each turret with the fps problems. Absurd.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    When i setup starmade its pretty normal connecting initializing chat system stuff like that. but after setting up control manager it stops and there an error message saying \"ErrorDialogErmat not acxception: ERROR-DIALOG-EXCEPTION: class org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    It started when he brang in the collision detection as we know it even since then its just be stupidly easy to crash servers and make games unplayable weather on purpose or by accident

Reaction score
    I have a similar problem but it crashes the server instead. I have a huge ship near my station and now whenever I try to run the game the server crashes before I can start playing.

The dedicated server option does the same - the server starts loading and almost immediately crashes/disappears.

Not satisfied but a solution was to use an older \"server-database\"(you get those in the archives after every update that is released and installed) folder in the server and that way I loose everything I built and done during that period of time.

Reaction score
    This is still crashing clients and making servers unusable.

Any official response? Even a graphical fix so that the client does not go down to less than 1 frame per 10 seconds would help. It would enable someone to remove/move the offending objects away from each other.

Reaction score
    It has already been mentioned that it is an issue with how the collision detection system works. Its not a simple fix which is why it hasn\'t been fixed. It would be a large rework of how collision detection works.

Reaction score
    the bottom line is the collision system needs to be re written

i would just change how many times it checks the block, which right now is

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Though, with collision detection barely workign as is (you can go through walls 3-5 blocks thick at 100m/s), reducing the checks would just make that worse no?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    So testing around. A 600 long ship that is 600 blocks alrge ( a line) causes the exact same effect. It\'s not the block count.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The erro still- Aug 29, 2013 8:09:52 PM] STDERR: [ERR] [CC]INFO: RigBExOrig@1715214914([CubesShape|SER Ship[Borg](87075)]): (36.019104, 571.9201, -191.97368); RigBExOrig@1804794952([CubesShape|SER SpaceStation[ENTITY_SPACESTATION_Somewhat_Deadly(87076)]]): (38.729095, -85.16093, -186.48834) UPDATE#: -11605