Server config? Increasing turn rate

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I find it exceedingly frustrating to have to spend thirty to forty seconds dragging my mouse across my mouse pad simply in order to turn my ship to face a new asteroid. My ship is not overly large (150 meters at it's longest), not overly massive 15K mass, and has a 2.5 thrust to mass ratio with turn rate set to 60%, and STILL it takes freaking forever to turn.

I asked my server admin if the server was defaulting to the normal turn rate, having a hard time believing that this could be by design, and he said that in fact the turn rate had been increased. This is mind boggling to me. There is apparently a server config setting that by default reads:
    "TURNING_DIMENSION_SCALE = 1.1 //Scaling of tuning speed VS ship dimension (default = 1.1)\"

On my server, this has been set to 0.7

Does this config setting have any effect? Should setting it to .7 actually increase the turn rate? Is it possible that this has in fact reduced turn rate? Or is there now an entirely new setting that should be used instead?

Reaction score
    If you consider how long it takes a little ship (that can turn quickly) to chew up an astroid, 30 or 40 seconds cost per asteroid for a larger miner isn't very long to wait at all.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Start using HOTAS. Joysticks are how you should play EVERY freedom of motion game.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Does this config setting have any effect? Should setting it to .7 actually increase the turn rate? Is it possible that this has in fact reduced turn rate? Or is there now an entirely new setting that should be used instead?
    Test it yourself in single player, that's faster than waiting for a useful answer.
    [doublepost=1476713927,1476711870][/doublepost]I was curious, so I tested it myself with a ship with 45k mass, 341m length, 0.6 ration to mass and 100% rotational thrusters. A 360° turn always took about 55s, independent of the config setting.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I was curious, so I tested it myself with a ship with 45k mass, 341m length, 0.6 ration to mass and 100% rotational thrusters. A 360° turn always took about 55s, independent of the config setting.
    Thanks Malacodor. I thought something was odd. Apparently the thrust update (likely) changed things so as to break that config setting. I wonder if there is some other setting now that can be tweaked, or are we forever mandated by the developers to swim through molasses.