Series of ideas relating to fauna and planets from a person who likes weird alien scum to murder

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The planets I am mostly fine with, this is not human reality whatsoever since the properties of the universe of the starmade reality does not follow our native universe's. Much more inclined to the arcade side of things; which is good since realism most the time is done with poor player interface which leads to a less usable product.

But I believe that it would be best to have the planets generate a flip side to their disc worlds. This is because it just seems odd to have a flat bottom with no terrain and world generation. It also leads to what is basically for a spaceship a wall of minerals to mine and a backside to rip into. A second side to the planet would however, have its issues.

For one, you're generating twice the mount of land per planet. And second, there's always the nagging question of "what happens when I pass the center?".

The first issue may not be as big of a deal as it seems; the game already can generate tons of planets without much problem and potentially server hosts will be able to limit how many generations in the future anyhow. One solution is perhaps to make worlds the same thickness they were previously, only with two sides of land generating instead of one.

The second issue has one letter to it that gives the best idea how one can depict what happens when one goes through the center of a planet. The letter C. The C button is used in a spaceship to restore the spaceship to a default position. If the player goes deep enough, they would experience a 180 degree flip which could lead to some awkward, yet amusing scenarios which can be circumvented by place a block while stuck in the flipping cycle to escape it.

I am aware the idea of a two sided world has been said before, but listen on; I have a couple additions to the idea to mix things up and make this thread not so redundant.

Due to two sides of a world generating, there could be sometimes on some worlds a different biome on the flip side. For instance, a world where one side is earth-like and the other side is the purple spaghetti terrain world compeltly alien to us. Or perhaps a world of ice and desert, not unlike some worlds that actually exist referred to as "eyeball earths" which get tidally locked by their star creating a heavily constrasting day/night to them. For that, worlds where one side is always dark and the other side is always sunny would also be a great way to diversify the worlds. If two sided worlds never happen, at the very least worlds of perputual brightness and worlds of endless darkness would be nice little additions.

At the very least, a world generation option that enabled dual sided world generation when starting the game up would be a great addition even at the cost of how much space it would surely eat.

Like with the idea of two sided worlds not being new, I am aware sentient fauna is something that will come later on in development, but here's my personal take on it.

Let's say every world type with life [sorry barren worlds] gets ten different kinds of critter/organic mob assigned to it; exact numbers will certainly differ since you try thinking of ten unique mobs for every type of world added. One of which is a "sentient" fauna that thinks, makes cute little structures to live in and likes chucking spears or goop at you since it is rightfully afraid of you.

Every time world is generated, it asks if life is on the world. Sometimes it is false, even on worlds capable of supporting life. If true, than three to seven species of creature get picked from the pallete of ten as a way to show not every world has the exact same ecology and give reason to explore multiple worlds of the same type. Let's pick the desert world as an example. The picker would pick at least one night creature and one day creature; creatures of any other classification are optional.

Let's say the developers make the following ten creature types for the desert:

-Three eyed petrodayctyl bat things [night]

-burrowing mole-like creatures [day]

-sandworms [megafauna] [night/day]

-cute little furry things [day]

-poison lizards [night]

-vulture-esque birds [day]

-raptosr with beaks [night]

-Colorful beetles like scarabs [cave] [night]

-large tortise-like creatures with spider limbs [day]

-hiveminded race of ant-like creatures that aren't humanoid who make pyramid shaped hives for their queens. [sapient]

Now every time you go to a desert world, you must be thinking there is a ten precent chance for every kind of these creatures. Not complety. Sapient life for instance appears less often than the other kinds of creature, mega fauna equally as rare. Even rarer would be a world with both sapient life and mega fauna. The weaker less dangerous creatures would be more common overall. Similiar could be done with the flora as well even; some worlds get the big cacti, others are void of plants!

Here's an application of this:

Let's say you are a astrobiologist looking for creatures for studying and kidnapping for the space zoo. You get on your spaceship and go on a interstellar alien hunt! Making landfall on a dusty desert world, as you decided you want desert creatures only you explore around and find out desert world in sector 2,5,-4 has:

-poison lizards [night]

-raptor with a beaks [night]

Not the most exciting place. Dissapointing, but the universe is vast!

So let's countinue our voyage to another desert world in sector 3,5,-6 to find better creatures to kidnap for the space zoo.

-burrowing mole-like creatures [day]

-large tortise-like creatures with spider limbs [day]

-sandworms [megafauna] [night/day]

-Colorful beetles like scarabs [cave] [night]

This desert world is much more diverse, and even has sand worms! Great finds, but the has always been the question; is there intelligent life out there? Well, truth of the matter is not really. Just look at the ecological destruction you do at a daily basis, it would be silly to assume some alien in your position would not make the same mistakes!

.... right?

So after much searching we finally arrive at desert world 2,3,-8!

-hiveminded race of ant-like creatures that aren't humanoid who make pyramid shaped hives for their queens. [sapient]

-vulture-esque birds [day]

Not a diverse place, it's only covered in birds and... giant intelligent ants who by existing generating various structures, notably artificial cave networks with stashed ores and the occassional giant pyramid.

Damn universe, you weird!

Combining the ability to have worlds with different biomes, the chance to have tidally locked worlds, and varied fauna for even the same world type the dversity of worlds you would discover would go up only exponentially as more variables are chucked into the intergalactic randomizing machine. Currently world diversity is only in the terrain, but as this game goes on one of the important ways to go is to make sure planets are diverse, exotic and seeming with life!

Since exploration's a major aspect of this game, and more things to find the better!

Reaction score
    There is no game where you can build house on your home planet and park your scout vessel (from your big explorer-nemo-ship in orbit) in hanger near the house. Now this is already possible in Starmade and i am gratefully waiting for more. Any kind of biomes, fauna, flora will help significantly together with bigger and diff style planets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This thread will not die just yet, more people should see this and more debate is needed before this thread warrants being put to rest..

Perhaps atop of all the things for planets stated, there\'s an occassional colony world inhabited or abandoned that would basically be like spacestations but on planets in terms of function. Though such idea could fill entire thread on its own.

Reaction score
    Although a neat ideal, I dont think double sided planets are needed. I do like the \"alien life\" ideal though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t like the double sided planets, for various reasons (The \"Flat side\" for one), but it\'d be nice to see some activity on those planets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There\'s going to be a perfectly round edge, gravity\'s bound to fuck things up for those who don\'t know how to suicide and have no resources. It\'ll be laggier for those of us with lower-middle end computers, and those with downright low end computers. It create a ton of useless code, I just don\'t like it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why would there be a perfectly round edge? I keep thinking of it looking like a wheel from the sides; the edges rounded, but not connecting.