Separate Software for Dedicated Server

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hey Devs, I really appreciate all the work you've done. I really enjoy the rail update, so much so that I've invited some of my friends to play the game. We had a problem where public dedicated servers are too scaled-up for us, we just wanted to play together in a new universe and experiment with the new mechanics together.

The problem is that Steam has this authentication process where I can't have the server software running and a client software running at the same time because I only have one Steam account, and my one steam account cant have 2 copies of Starmade open at the same time.

Ergo, I cannot run a Starmade-Dedicated Server and also play Starmade at the same time without setting up a completely separate Steam account. Would it be possible to have the Server Software available outside of Steam?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    You do know, that if you run a singleplayer game, it also runs a server in the SAME instance, meaning anyone, who can connect to your computer, can connecto to your singleplayer game?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    if you actually navigate to the starmade folder, you can copy it elsewhere, having 2 installations of starmade and being able to run the dedicated batch file from there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    You don't even need a second installation, just don't use the steam link to load starmade. Load the dedicated server directly using the starmade starter and use the steam link to play. The former will not be tracked on steam or have overlay, so you can have both open.

The link steam makes just sends a command to steam to open the game, so again just go to the directory starmade is in and use the starter.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    You don't even need a second installation, just don't use the steam link to load starmade. Load the dedicated server directly using the starmade starter and use the steam link to play. The former will not be tracked on steam or have overlay, so you can have both open.

The link steam makes just sends a command to steam to open the game, so again just go to the directory starmade is in and use the starter.
    This will work, i would just be worried of some shared files getting accessed at the same time and then crashing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    This will work, i would just be worried of some shared files getting accessed at the same time and then crashing.
    I just connect to myself as if it was a server, so I avoid that issue. But its not the ideal solution for everyone.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was trying to use a separate computer to give the server more ram (and keep it up longer).

therimmer96 pointed out that the thing I was asking for already existed. I wasn't expecting it to be in the install directory already...

So, my problem is solved. That's for the input, fellows.