Separate ID and texture. Each block can be plated!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I suggested this before for Jefferies tubes (aka StarTrek) - tunnes through which you can crawl only.
    (I think it was on the old forum, can't find it here)

I thought of blocks with inverted normals (facing inward, not outward) which only show faces with adjacent blocks.
    For 1-6 orientation values.

And now I discovered this: Here you can see the power of this feature:

Q : What takes currently almost all IDs away?
    A : Colors and shapes
    S : ? Separate the 24 block bits not into ID, logic, hp, orientation but (function, texture, shape, logic)

(EDIT : Textures draw on adjacent blocks and can be set independently from physical blocks. This needs a rethink, but the video shows what I mean.)

function := Logic
    4 texture := Type(AND, OR, ...)
    8 shape := 8 additional LogicBit (logic is always a full block and don't need a shape)
    1 logic := Filter(shape & texture > 0) or something else​

function := CPU
    4 texture := Type(cannon, beam, power-supply, explosive, ...)
    8 shape := Shape |or| 5 Orientation + 3 additional LogicBit
    1 logic := 4th LogicBit (fire once, fire while true)​

function := Special function (is special)
    8 texture := Type(Gravity, Factory, ...)
    4 orientation := Gravity.orientation |or| Factory.Type
    1 logic := on/off​

3x function := Hull & Door (different max (1/8) hp per shape-bit)
    4 texture := Texture
    8 shape := Shape
    1 logic := OPEN | CLOSED​

X < function < Y := Decorative Block Range (low max hp)
    4 texture := Texture / Light Color
    8 shape := Shape
    1 logic := Texture[Active, Inactive]​

All this uses 16 bits so far.
    With what I forgot it may use 18
    18 == 5+4+8+1 == 32 functions * 16 possible textures * 2 possible logic states * 36 possible shapes​

You get 255 possible shapes with 5 or 10 different faces.

Last edited:
    Reactions: WaffulMann
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    the blockade Runner staff and schema should work together for the greatest Game in da wooorld ^^

and then we call that Game StarRunner XD

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Would this not remove the complete control players currently have over placing each block specifically?

I can understand the appeal, and automatically trimming textures is nice, (something i'd like in the future) but for it to place multiple texture types depending on the face could annoy players that love building their own details?

Reactions: FlyingDebris

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can understand the appeal, and automatically trimming textures is nice, (something i'd like in the future) but for it to place multiple texture types depending on the face could annoy players that love building their own details?
    I guess it could require upside down textures for those who want to play with inverted gravity, BUT think about current computers... they don't orientate well on front and rear walls either
    (and will probably never do as long as we don't give them 30 possible rotations)

Wouldn't it give peoples the ability to have decoration without limiting the ship's abilities?

If we could have hull outside and medical supplies inside on the same layer, wouldn't that be a win?
    Currently we need 2m thick walls for this, but requiring 0.5m thick walls would be realistic. Everything that can make it more realistic without hurting other experience too much is good.

I guess dedicating 1/3 of a blocks personal 3 byte storage (HP) to the single moment of destruction is not a good choice.
    Also we need a way to save IDs.
    Having plating would solve that - I think blockade runner uses a texture ID in an advanced invisible block

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Does anybody know how many bytes Blockade Runner uses per block?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea of blocks taking up half the space. Things would look more real if that were the case.
    Something else I was thinking, we could eliminate 90% of the hull blocks by just allowing paint application. You could just have standard Grey hull, and then you can paint them all. Painting would allow different faces of the same block to have different colors. I would even say you could paint wedges and other basic shapes on blocks for smoother paint jobs. It would make building faster and detailing much easier.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Exactly that is the OP suggesting @jath
    Just that blocks take up half IDs not half space (which will lead to further improvements of the block system)

If I get the damn linker running for Haskell's ghc compiler, I try to make my own little 2D (or semi-3D) block game as I want it ;)
    Maybe I can use it to get more advanced build options for building ships and logic and exporting it to star-made

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Schema said he's working on a modding API. This places rank 2 on my most wanted things in Starmade. I am happy to lend a hand (no coding experience, yey) if it is required.