Sector Size Suggestions

Reaction score
    I was going to make the universe pretty big for everyone to explore and what not on my server, I made the sector size 100000, you guys think this is to big? whats a good size to set it at in your guys oppinion?

Reaction score
    im open to suggestions[DOUBLEPOST=1410159459,1410158514][/DOUBLEPOST]what would be a good setting for both speed and size of sector?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ask yourself what are they going to explore in that amount of space? Only one planet spawns per sector and all the planets are pretty much the same. I suggest 10,000 at the max.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    with FTL sector sizes will start to matter less. but i do think that bigger is better.

atm 5000 is pretty good. not too vast, not too short, but just right

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Holy s***. 100 kilometer sector sizes? Oh man I wouldn't want to transverse that.

Reaction score
    I'm currently using a sector size of 15.000, which is waaaay more than default, but only increased max speed to 225. It takes a LONG time to get through a few sectors, and there are much less planets and asteroids around. That's not 100k, and yet space feels empty, so... careful with that.

Take note that you can't just scale sector size, max speed and range of weapons, as increasing speed also impact your performance and causes collision glitches (like being able to go throught a wall).

Also, because ships are also moving very fast, it's incredibly hard to hit small fighters for humans as the average range you must fire is way bigger, making AMCs and Beams... not that efficient really. Not efficient at all in fact (and totally useless for AIs unless you increase the AI accuracy). Simply put, that make missiles MUCH more interesting.

Switching all my turrets of my faction base from heavy-fast firing AMCs to much smaller turrets -but with lockOn missiles, turned out to be a very good idea. Even tho I increased the speed of AMCs to 5 times the max server speed (read: 1125), it's still big trouble hitting things. Having a huge cross to aim (and hide) your targets isn't really a good idea...

Don't forget to take those into account for balance reasons.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that you can see ships from very far away. I can spot most ships in a 45km radius around me, making surprise attacks harder.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The best size right now to just play on would be 2000. It is a big improvement, and you don't necessarily need to increase the server speed limit.

Once there are more things around planets, ways to increase the amount of asteroids per sector and ways to increase the amount of stuff around planets (if that ever gets added), I will most likely increase it even further, probably to 4000.

Reaction score
    For me sector size is more of a comfort thing. You want space to be empty and with ftl crossing big distances become easier, but if its too empty it becomes boring or annoying to use thrusters.

I also believe it should at least save some time to use jump-drives instead of thrusters and overdrive.

If sectors are too small zigzagging over sector boundaries in combat becomes painful. At minimum I would use a sector 2 times the server's biggest ship plus the max weapon range.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've been thinking about this myself, as I intend to expand my sector sizes when I do my next universe reset on my server.
    I've decided on 2500 for my server. It seems to be a good balance (to me) between lots of space, and not taking forever to get somewhere under normal thrust.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Sector size: 10km
    Max speed: 300

Makes combat much much much much smoother and limits shop/planet clusters.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    10'000.

Does it really matter if you spend 10 minutes salvaging and 5 minutes travelling or 10 minutes salvaging and 20 minutes travelling if recipes give you then 2 times the amount of resources?

If you want to travel to exact locations, build a gate network.

Reactions: Crusade