Sector Boundary Issues (AKA Bug-Powered Jumpgate)

Reaction score
    It's likely that none of what led to this issue is actually recommended or supported, but as it's *possible* I feel I should mention it.

One of the players on my server got into his mind to create a giant cube arena for ship combat and testing. Really big. It takes up most of a sector. And in order to make sure that it wouldn't be damaged by contestants, he decided to attach it to our faction's home base with a long pole. The arena and our base are in two adjacent but still different sectors. Already, then, we've gone over the recommended build size and we've also built across sectors which I'm almost certain is not something that should be done. But, there we are. That's the setup, now the FUN.

We were going to fly out to the arenacube, show it to a new player and maybe have a quick match with some fighters. As we followed the pole, we crossed the sector boundary...and suddenly we were elsewhere. At first we were confused. After a while, we realized we were on the *other side* of the sector the arena was in, with the arena invisible, and rapidly be pushed into the next sector over. When we returned to the sector with our base in it, we ended up coming from the other side of it. After playing with this a bit, we determined that he had invented a short range jump gate via glitches and bugs. Now, in build mode that cube is still there, but we can't see or interact with it outside of build mode, and it moves us around.

Next this player had me sit on the pole in space right on the sector boundary, and he started building walls. I could not see them, but I was immediately forced several hundred meters straight up (relative) and every time I flew back down to the same spot, I was forced back up again. At this point we declared him grand space wizard and all logged off to sleep.

Upon examining the server logs, we were all being snapped to drastically different coordinates from where we started out upon entering the sector. Likely it saw that we crossed the boundary, tried to place us, and then found this weird giant cube thing that was roughly where it want to put us, even though it probably should be in another sector...and got confused, and just put us in the nearest truly empty boundary space, which happened to be on the other side. And since we were already moving in that direction...we crossed that boundary immediately just from inertia.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wow that is some crazy stuff lol try moving the walls back a little from the boundarys of the sector.

Reaction score
    Sector boundaries are so messed up. If you lag bad enough, it will constantly throw you into random sectors, making it impossible to travel. I\'ve been warped 40 sectors from it one time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s a pretty hilarious story.

Sector boundaries definitely need work, though. I\'ve had multiple instances of hitting the sector boundary right next to our faction\'s home planet and suddenly I am teleported somewhere random and I cannot move the ship, then I get out of the ship and I can see the ship but cannot interact with it at all and can even just float right through it. But the ship still exists (cannot make a new ship with the same name). It takes flying out of the sector and back in to get the ship back.

Reaction score
    Savage, yes, that might help. But that\'s treating the symptom, not the cause. And given that there are other issues with boundaries, it seemed like reporting what I saw would help with finding the cause. Trying to help figure out why it\'s breaking.

bonerdagon, I\'ve actually had reports of that happening. However, the cases where ships go out of phase or whatever seem to be more widespread than simply boundary issue focused; I\'ve had some reports of it happening upon undocking from a mothership, as well as just randomly. Possibly the latter ones were on boundaries and the user just didn\'t realize it, though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The first time I had just undocked my capital ship from the home planet, then flown up and over to the boundary and just after crossing the boundary was when it went out of phase. The next two times it happened to me it was my smaller ship that I had been using in each instance to get to the nearby shop in that same sector. Crossing the boundary to the shop worked, but when I was crossing back to the home sector my ship teleported a few hundred meters away and was out of phase until I crossed into the home sector and back.

Granted, it may be that on our universe that particular boundary may be bugged, since for me it\'s only happened on that boundary.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The teleportation but, mentioned on another bug report, and also a bug where my ship was parked about 1k meters away, so i flew a core up to it was about to get in, and sudenly its 1k meters away again. at first i thought the ship was teleporting, but then found out that i was teleporting backwards.

Also, i know that it is treating the symptom, i am just trying to help you out untill they do find a real fix.

Reaction score
    Docked ships seem to be a bit broken since the 0.09376 update:

http://star-made.org/comment/21197#comment-21197

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So has anyone asked the Developer to add actual stargates into the game? build one, label its 3-7 digit code and connect it to another address?

you know you all want one.

Reaction score
    Yep this is extremely annoying.

I was chasing a pirate ship once, and it kept warping every few seconds because of this, then I got hit by a missile out of nothing (probably warped wrongly) and my ship was gone :D