Screen system to display ship status and parameters

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An idea I had a while ago:

Basically, we could have a couple of blocks that would become screens and which would have the ability to show the status of all systems on a ship and the hull integrity of the ship itself.

It would wokr like this:

Lets say you have a large status display in the command room. It would display the side-view cross section of the hull with colored pixels in places of systems. There would be a shield status displayed in % of shields and each time the ship gets hit, the display would show this in form of a ''water ripple'' like effect spreading across the ship.

Once the shield is gone, the display will recognize which parts of the ship have been hit and shows how much of those areas has been destroyed.

Hull integrity would simply be displayed as a % figure which would go down proportionally to the amount of blocks destroyed. That would allow you to judge the extent of the damage from inside of the ship.

Smaller screens culd also display as well as other important data. Maybe this could pave way for implementing crew seats and command positions since each crew member could sit and monitor different parts of the ship and different data. Some could monitor weapons, some power, some shields, some hulls etc. Maybe even remote control turrets from the bridge without actually switching their AI off or having to go to their cores.

All cross sections of the ship would simply be generated jpg images or bitmaps, saved along with it's blueprints. That would mean each ship loads up its own display that shows the shape and layout appropriate.

What do you guys think? I know this is only an alpha and we are waiting on schema to sort the upcoming updates out as well as many bugs and balancing tweaks, but in the near future, do you guys think this would be the way to go? Make ships more interactive and actually make the rooms and layouts useful instead of rewarding crammed, 100% filled up designs?

Reaction score
    I really like the idea. However, I have no idea how schema would code this. Maybe it could be less complex, like for hull integrity it could measure how much of the blueprint has been destroyed. You can already see how much shielding you have left, and a quick look at build mode will tell you your total energy stats and thrust to mass ratio.