Scanner changes/additions

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Currently, each player has their own sensor scan history, within the navigation panel. I find that it would probably be better for ships to have the scan data stored 'onboard.'

Pressing "R" on a scanner computer could pull up the radar signature list and the scan history for the ship in two sections of a menu, along with a progress bar to show the charge status of the scanner. There should also be a "scan" button, which is enabled when the scanner has fully recharged, and a number of options regarding what to scan for: ships, jump signatures (that would show the direction that a ship jumped recently), asteroids (which would show the asteroid ore type and sector location of nearby asteroids), planets/stations (which would show the location, size (if planet), and faction(if claimed)) etc.

While piloting the ship, these options would be available from the navigation panel.

It might also be nice to separate "combat scanners" from "astrometric scanners," where the former would uncloak/unjam ships depending on its system size, and the latter would scan for nearby ships or celestial objects as described above. Combat scanner strength might scale with the size of the group, but with astrometric scanners, only recharge speed scales with group size.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh yes, onboard logging within the ship would be awesome!
    I wonder if it would be worth expanding on the whole logbook side of things, but have different logbooks for different functions?

Reactions: NeonSturm

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This would be great.

Reaction score
    The scanning mechanics in StarMade have been in great need of overhaul.

I envision a system where space isn't revealed until you build a scanner to reveal it, and the maps you make are stored on your ship. Astrometric data could be a resource to buy and sell to NPC's or players looking to explore space. Astrometric scanners would be short-range on ships, and a longer ranged version would be available for stations.