Scale Thruster Plume to Total Thrust (and rotate them please)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Its come up before, but figured I'd bring it back up again since we're in the middle of all kinds of system updates at the moment, which would hopefully make it easier to just tag this while they're in there.

Thruster plumes are currently 3 blocks long, always. A 3 block pod and a titan have exactly the same thruster plume length (although the titan will have WIDER plumes, they end up looking more like glows than actual plumes).

I'd like to see plume length scale to total thrust or perhaps cluster size of thrusters so that we could manipulate size as needed, so that large ships with huge amounts of thrust kick out a much larger rooster tail of flame. I like the plumes in my builds, I enjoy using them, but I also like to decorate my engines with ice and lights. Given that the best lighting effects require a space between the light and the ice for diffusion, and that plumes are turned off if there is a block directly behind the thruster, often times there simply isn't enough space to see the plume at all.

---

And side request thats kind of pie in the sky, but I'd love to see thrusters that are rotated be able to tell when a ship is turning and activate accordingly, so that we could have attitude thrusters that actually fire off plumes when we turn our ships.

(As in, if the ship is moving forwards, thrusters pointing backwards activate plumes. If the ship is nosing up, then thrusters facing down would activate plumes. Left turns make right facing thrusters activate, etc).

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A slider in the thruster menu to ajust this will be nice.

Small addition from my side: It would be easier for builders if we make an additional invisible block (like the pickup rails) that immits the thruster plumes instead of the thruster blocks itself (some people including myself use the thruster blocks as decorative block).

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Im not sure if this thing still works but it sure did make plumes much better, both old and new.
    Larger Thruster Plumes

Reaction score
    yknw there is a mod you can get that adds better thruster plumes and a not intended feature it causes is beaconier beacons. but it in the default game would be very good. i wonder if the devs will see this.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    yknw there is a mod you can get that adds better thruster plumes and a not intended feature it causes is beaconier beacons. but it in the default game would be very good. i wonder if the devs will see this.
    Necromancy much?

Reactions: jstenholt

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, and I do happen to use that mod. I'd just like to see it in the base game because plumes are still way too short on large ships. And even then its not REALLY suitable since its still a fixed length plume. Its just better.

Last edited: