Recognized Scale damage pulses

Reaction score
    THIS is desperately needed, The damage pulses are perhaps the most damage effective of all weapons.
    The problem with the pulse is that its blast radius is tiny and impossible to enlarge, So Pulses need to scale by default with the size of their primary vessel, Ensuring a blast radius that is always 5-10x the size of the ship from which it came, Fired from a titan such a pulse could envelop and destroy a planet easily.

Can you imagine your ship is being swarmed by tiny fighter drones, Then you fire, And instantly half of them are knocked out?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    yeah,I see why that would be desirable :)
    But keep in mind,if we go down that road,it would outclass every other weapon because you wouldnt even need to aim.

Best use for it right now is to kill enemy boarders :p
    small (ish) pulse in enough to purge the heretics :D

Reaction score
    Seems a little unbalanced, but would be neat if the damage could be spread out over that range. Then I think it could be feasible.

EDIT: Or the larger it gets the more power it should use.

Reaction score
    It
    yeah,I see why that would be desirable :)
    But keep in mind,if we go down that road,it would outclass every other weapon because you wouldnt even need to aim.

Best use for it right now is to kill enemy boarders :p
    small (ish) pulse in enough to purge the heretics :D
    wouldnt be too OP afterall players should know by now not to fly in front of a titans main battery.

Reaction score
    It

wouldnt be too OP afterall players should know by now not to fly in front of a titans main battery.
    To be honest, I don't see Damage pulse getting much use on anything other than boarding pods or dedicated "surgeon" frigates.

Reason being? Fatass Mc Titan can't realistically turn fast enough to use this "improved" damage pulse the way it would need to be, as a melee attack against another Titan.
    Because, and here's the rub, Damage Pulse is STILL too short-ranged to be an "effective" weapon as anything other than a Ramming attack booster.

But on those specially designed Frigates? Surgical (as near as it can be without using an OP Laser) removal of Turrets, Detector arrays, and any manner of Docked smallcraft that's "near enough" to the surface to be hit with it.

And I was all ready to tear you a new one for not using the search function to find the most similar thread, but then I see that you started that other thread.

Should I yell at you for littering? :confused: (since you've just kinda, left the old one hanging there)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Pulse weapons do need more usability, but this seems excessive.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Pulse weapons do need more usability, but this seems excessive.
    I feel that pulse weapons need improvement - particularly better radius. Personally I think that radius should scale with percentage of effect on the pulse. So that a Push, Pull or Stop pulse might actually have a decent range, EMP or ION somewhat less, explosive much less, and keep the radius of pure damage pulses without effects at its current distance. Extended pulse range would be fantastic for AOE casting mobility effects - current caster/support-type build options are fairly underpowered, IMO.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think damage pulse is good where it's at right now. Seen enough ships where it's super effective with the current radius of damage. The sphere being larger than the ship (5-10x? You serious?) would be insanely OP.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What about if the 'pulse' is a large sphere (like currently,but bigger) and when it has a secondary effect or whatever is launched as a slow moving 'bubble' that deals damage to anything it pases through?
    Basically like a giant plasma bolt XD

Reaction score
    What about if the 'pulse' is a large sphere (like currently,but bigger) and when it has a secondary effect or whatever is launched as a slow moving 'bubble' that deals damage to anything it pases through?
    Basically like a giant plasma bolt XD
    That sounds more like the original Romulan Plasma Torpedo. (with the caveat that the RPT was a tracking/homing weapon, and was all about dealing damage)
    Which is good, as I've been wanting that kind of weapon for a while now.
    But it's allso kinda bad, because "oh god the lag!" bomb whenever one of these gets fired off.
    And the potential lag is the only thing I have against it, so here's hoping the lag is overcome. :)

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    Maybe the stats of pulse could be dependend on it's construction.

The more modules are installed, the more damage in total has the weapon while the box dimensions of the system affect the range. However, all that damge gets divides by the entire area the pulse can hit.

That way a ship that has invested into a large pulse array with long range could easily obliberate large drone swarms but that would come at the prize of being less effective against a relativley big ship.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score

The more modules are installed, the more damage in total has the weapon while the box dimensions of the system affect the range. However, all that damge gets divides by the entire area the pulse can hit.

That way a ship that has invested into a large pulse array with long range could easily obliberate large drone swarms but that would come at the prize of being less effective against a relativley big ship.
    This idea is what I had in my head exactly just couldn't think of the right words to post it. I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Reaction score

sounds like something that would completely negate the low turning speed of large ships and be as 'skill-less' a weapon as swarmers are

Reaction score
    sounds like something that would completely negate the low turning speed of large ships and be as 'skill-less' a weapon as swarmers are
    Only somewhat, the Game still spawns the bubble "towards the front" of the ship, so staying to the sides (or rear) of the target titan/dreadnaught/battleship/carrier will still work as usual.
    (unless the designer of said monstrosity is a sneeky snake, and put in scads of Damage-Pulse all over the hull)

If it gets buffed the way this topic is angling for, about all that will change is the initial strike/counter-strike against deployed swarm-craft, as they are running directly toward either the ship with this weapon, or some other ship, and are thus relatively clustered together.

The attack against swarm-craft en-route to assault another ship is the more likely scenario, as they'll be clustered together, traveling in a mostly straight line, and not paying attention to other possible targets.
    Perfect time for a high-speed attack perpendicular (90~ish degree angle) to their flight-path, and fire off the pulse right about the time you'd ram one of them.

Reaction score
    As long as(I hope this was a typo) pulse is scaled on damage, not ship size, say starting at 5 block radius, and going up at 1 block per 100 damage. Otherwise your antiboarder pulse gate shoots a pulse that instakills everybody in a sector.