Scaffolding

Reaction score
    that would look really good on wrecked ships floating around and ships made to look like they are being built!

are you going to let us climb them?

Reaction score
    I've thought this too. Back when I played Tekkit I loved the scaffold blocks, just as decoration for factories and that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well, read the description for metal mesh. To me, that says: "I'm scaffolding!" but a nice X shaped-metal scaffolding block'd be quite nice.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd like climbable scaffolding that can be used both for decoration and as a ladder. There are a lot of places in ships I build where ladders are necessary, but do not exist so I have to build a rather awkward and inconvenient sideways grav tube to solve the problem.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would be good to "group" metal mesh and grilles together, and then "attach" an aligned entity to it, so that after the entity aligns itself with the metal, they can move anywhere along the surface of the metal without floating away. Then, when they want to "get off" the metal, they just align to a different surface to resume normal movement. This would simulate climbing across the surface of the metal. I'm specifically thinking about side-scrolling games where the player grabs onto a wall of vines (or whatever the player is allowed to climb) and climbs all over it, up and down, or side-to-side.

It would be slightly disorienting when reaching a corner, and ones perspective suddenly flips, to align with the perpendicular surface, but I'd still like it. And it would be really cool if the alignment could go diagonal with metal wedges.

Edit: In this case, when I use the term "metal", I'm referring to perforated or partial blocks where one would expect an astronaut to be able to grapple and hold onto the surface. An astronaut can't really grip a hull block the way they can grip mesh or grill (or a scaffolding block, when that is implemented.)

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Another possible use for scaffolding would be to build ships attached to the surface of planets and stations. Adding a core to scaffolding would create an independent entity, but it's building dimensions aren't limited by the ground proximity. (obviously, you still can't build through other blocks) removing the scaffolding would then disconnect the ship from the static surface.

It's currently pretty much impossible to build a space ship on the surface of a planet. You have to put the core upside-down, add some blocks to make it tall, and then dock it. Not very realistic to me.