Saved Station Import TUTORIAL

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi all,

I wanted to know how to do this. The only suggestions offered in the forum were importing entire sectors. That wasn't what I wanted. PLEASE READ BEFORE RESPONDING.

So, basically, I wanted to save my faction home so I wouldn't have to rebuild it every time my server went wonky or something went sketchy. Anyway, I found elsewhere where someone had mentioned having to import and export entire sectors. This seems a waste. I think I have a much more elegant solution. THIS IMPLIES THAT I HAVE AN ANSWER, NOT THAT I'M SEEKING ONE OR MERELY SUGGESTING ONE.

So, while in build mode on your station, you need to use an admin command to save it like so:

/save mystation_name

Then, when you want to bring it back, you just enter:

/spawn_entity mystation_name new_stationname x y z -1 false

This will spawn the station saved in blueprint at the x y z sector with the new name you give it. It must have a unique name to spawn. If you want to test it, just type in /list_ships after saving it in build mode. It will show up with the other catalog items, even though it will not show up in the catalog menu for the shop.

One BIG cautionary note: I spawned my station in a sector already occupied by another station and it merged the two like some wierd Philadelphia Experiment gone wrong. I've also used the command to spawn my station at the starting shop. I haven't tested it, but I'm guessing that the load command would work also with this. Also, once I used the spawn entity command, I found that a blueprint entry appeared in the list ships command list with the new name I assigned to the freshly spawned station. If you find this helpful please post a response. If you want to tell me how to import and export an entire sector, please post that in a more appropriate thread.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This did not keep the turrets attached to the station, but that\'s not as big a deal as having the rest of the station at my disposal, especially with the turrets already in the catalog.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    First do this:

import_sector *your station sector* *mystationname* (you find your station in your starmade direction under \"export_sector\")

and

export_sector *sector what you want* *mystationname*

finish. but since the new build, some chunks of stations and other objekt was broken and was normal.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I am confused by your post? are you suggesting to change the system or to add the ability to save stations as with ships.

If your suggestion is the latter then I support that. For the Former Idea - it is bad for a number of reasons.

1st the sector export system is fgreat and works well. You can actually setup a .txt file containing the locations and names of all important sectors and export/import them in bulk.

We run a public server where we accept imported sector from regular pilots. We also run an Exodus between most Universe Resets allowing some project continuity.

Usage is simple we have 300 sectors on file so I can say it works great.

first use /force_save

second use /export_sector 1 2 3 mysector

this will create a file in /sector-export named mysector.smsec using everything inside 1,2,3

Finally use /import_sector 1 2 3 mysector

This will import the sector file named mysector.smsec to the location 1,2,3.

All Done! Look in your root starmade installation folder to find the bulk import/export .txt example file ;D If you have more than one sector ;D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m sorry if I\'m not making it clear. I mean to tell you that you already can save stations if you follow my instructions. You can load them, too, as an admin.

You. can. already. save. stations. same. as. with. ships. You can do this already if you read the whole post it tells you how. /load command works perfectly and will allow you to spawn many copies of same station next to each other. I\'m not asking you to change anything. I\'m telling you how to do what\'s already available in the game commands because when I wanted to know how to do this, nobody seemed to know. I hope it helps someone to know this.

Why is it that when I\'m trying to be helpful for others to know how to import a single station instead of an entire sector the only responses I get are from people who want to insist that I import an entire sector?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    because you commented this

\" I\'m still learning and I\'m new here. Anyway, I found elsewhere where someone had mentioned having to import and export entire sectors. This seems a waste. I think I have a much more elegant solution.\"

and switch between the future and past tense making it unclear whether your OP is a Suggestion or a Tutorial.

I will be checking this out later. interesting stuff. Now if we can get a Save To Local option we are set.

Also cut the hostility bro, I\'m just about the most easygoing Admin you will find ;D

Maybe if you worded the OP clearly and confidently - like a tutorial, people would not think you were suggesting something new.

Also well done for discovering this, if it works i\'m sure it will prove useful.

To Forums Admins! please update the List of Admin commands. I know that _REDACTED_ but it would be real nice to see some of the newer commands from the last 3 months of patch notes be included there.

I\'ll make a list if you want....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is there a way to set where in your sector the station appears?

And without amdin commands? Maybe buy with blocks?

A command to teleport players or objects to specific coordinates within sectors can help building teleporter-systems