Bug Same block, different color

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I made a door for my ship, which uses two separate entities to draw back and open. Even though all of the blocks are the same (Advanced Grey Hull) they are very obviously different colors. Just thought you would like to know.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    This isn't exactly a bug. It's how the lighting engine works. Idk if turning on shadows would solve this issue, but essentially light is applied to an object as if it is the only object there. Lights on one entity do not land on other entities. That door is treating the ambient sunlight as if there were no other structures to alter the light in the first place.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That, and block rotation - even on blocks that you can't rotate (cubes) still rotates the blocks normal map, making light react differently and giving it different shades depending on light direction.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This isn't exactly a bug. It's how the lighting engine works. Idk if turning on shadows would solve this issue, but essentially light is applied to an object as if it is the only object there. Lights on one entity do not land on other entities. That door is treating the ambient sunlight as if there were no other structures to alter the light in the first place.

To be fair, that type of behavior in the light seems like a bug. I don't know anything about programming, so I trust that everything else you know on the subject is correct, but I thought that if something within a game engine was working incorrectly, it was a bug?

I bring this up not because it is terribly important, only that ultimately, it will have to be fine tuned.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    It is reported as a bug ... this will even work if you fully enclose the entity in a dark box ... it will be illuminated by the sun without the light beeing blocked. So yes ... a bug or better an inability by the lighting system.
    There are more problems with lighting on corners or on the borders of chunks that have to be fixed in the future.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    It is reported as a bug ... this will even work if you fully enclose the entity in a dark box ... it will be illuminated by the sun without the light beeing blocked. So yes ... a bug or better an inability by the lighting system.
    There are more problems with lighting on corners or on the borders of chunks that have to be fixed in the future.
    And on the triangular wides of wedges in some orientations.
    The image depicts an octagon docked inside an octagon case, pay attention to the lighting in the top-right and bottom-left corner.