Read by Schine Salvaging forcefield

Reaction score
    A forcefield-like block, that when activated, dissolves matter on contact and adds it into the player inventory. Doesn't harm players or non-overheating ships.

When linked to salvaging computer, it is able to dissolve more blocks per second.

I couldn't find this suggestion anywhere else, I figured I should post it.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    So something that sucks up blocks within a radius of the output or something that requires blocks to touch the output, like a drill? Either way, this would be really cool for making working drill machines for planetary warfare or making worm-like ships for cleaning up after battles!

Reactions: Theats
    Reaction score
    While I don't know about this specific implementation, I'm cool with something like this finding it's way into the game.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Instead of having a new block, how about slaving a pulse computer to the salvage computer? The ratio of pulse to salvage modules could affect either the rate of mining or the radius of the effect.

Reaction score
    Instead of having a new block, how about slaving a pulse computer to the salvage computer? The ratio of pulse to salvage modules could affect either the rate of mining or the radius of the effect.
    These two suggestions are pretty mutually exclusive, both could have their own niches inside the game.

So something that sucks up blocks within a radius of the output or something that requires blocks to touch the output, like a drill? Either way, this would be really cool for making working drill machines for planetary warfare or making worm-like ships for cleaning up after battles!
    I suppose either function would be pretty cool. Originally I envisioned actual contact necessary.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    If it cuts down on lag Im all for it. No more beam target calculations needed just detect collision with the "salvage area block".

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm not too enthusiastic. It doesn't solve a problem, it just makes a particular use-case of an existing mechanic slightly more convenient. While it may not actually impair anything, I don't think it's a wise use of development resources.

Reaction score
    1. Collision checks are far harder than programming beams. Take a laggy LAN server, ram a large ship into an asteroid, see what happens. Then take another similar-sized ship and mine an asteroid. Worlds of difference there. Also no clipping with salvage lasers.
    2. It doesn't solve a problem, however, I do like the idea. It would cut down on visual effects, if computing power wasn't an issue as well.
    3. I can see this getting OP really fast, not to mention laggy as heck when some noob built a planet-sized "system eater" noobcube to collide with EVERYTHING ... yeah.
    I can see this being fun, but it'll be laggier and it doesn't solve a problem so it's not a high priority if anybody wants it. I'm neutral - it's interesting but I can see downsides.

Reactions: Ithirahad

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    3. I can see this getting OP really fast, not to mention laggy as heck when some noob built a planet-sized "system eater" noobcube to collide with EVERYTHING ... yeah.
    Someone can build a noobcube and go ramming into everything in existence right this minute, at least a salvaging tool would salvage the blocks that get rammed into, or even before they get rammed into.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    1. Collision checks are far harder than programming beams.
    Make it act like a cargo block. Set the tick rate for checking for impact way slower(config shinanigans), so slower servers can make void mining blocks more pulsey, more power every once and a while, and superservers can make it more constant. All depends on how laggy they actually are.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1461718496,1461718282][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Take a laggy LAN server, ram a large ship into an asteroid, see what happens. Then take another similar-sized ship and mine an asteroid.
    If they are ghost blocks then it should be way different. Get your point though.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    1. Collision checks are far harder than programming beams. Take a laggy LAN server, ram a large ship into an asteroid, see what happens. Then take another similar-sized ship and mine an asteroid. Worlds of difference there. Also no clipping with salvage lasers.
    2. It doesn't solve a problem, however, I do like the idea. It would cut down on visual effects, if computing power wasn't an issue as well.
    I can see this being fun, but it'll be laggier and it doesn't solve a problem so it's not a high priority if anybody wants it. I'm neutral - it's interesting but I can see downsides.
    But the idea behind it is sound. Whether or not it decreases game performance is a question Schine is more than qualified to ask.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm not too enthusiastic. It doesn't solve a problem, it just makes a particular use-case of an existing mechanic slightly more convenient. While it may not actually impair anything, I don't think it's a wise use of development resources.
    The four golden suggestion rules:
    First, suggestions don't need to solve problems, they can bring an idea that nobody really thought of or something that makes things more convenient like a better factory system.
    Second, When suggesting things, never think about how possible it is for the developers, it limits your creative vision. Maybe you come up with something impossible but because of that, you gave someone else an idea that is possible.
    Third, always try explaining when, where or why this feature/fix can be used.
    Fourth, after writing the suggestion, re-read it and think about possible exploits, problems and disadvantages. Eliminate them and finalize the suggestion to bring a confident suggestion.

Anyways, I like the idea but the collision detection can't go lower because it always does the checks. Otherwise you'd be clipping through blocks. Reducing the dig speed because of server things would change much in a bad way as the miner will probably be used in small planet related mining operations and having clunky mining would discourage the use of the miner thing. I would love to use this thing for making walkers. It will probably be a thing for later though, once the bigger more major things are in place and when they possibly improved performance for servers.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    As cool as this is, I imagine it would require collisions. And those are a source of lag. Having some sort of pulse-like effect would be much more effective if tweaked right.

Reaction score
    As cool as this is, I imagine it would require collisions. And those are a source of lag. Having some sort of pulse-like effect would be much more effective if tweaked right.
    Maybe a block like an Area Trigger then, that isn't actually physical?

And a pulse would be cool. You could have inner and outer pulse blocks, and an effect would appear between them.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Area triggers still cause collision detections. Otherwise the game doesn't know that the two blocks crossed each other paths. Removing physics from a blocks doesn't solve the problem unfortunately.

Reaction score
    Area triggers still cause collision detections. Otherwise the game doesn't know that the two blocks crossed each other paths. Removing physics from a blocks doesn't solve the problem unfortunately.
    Aaah, alright. Something along the lines of a pulse effect would be pretty cool though

Reaction score
    PULSE MINE! Bloomph .... bloomph .... bloomph ... where'd the asteroid go?
    Where'd the miner drone go?
    - That wasn't the MINING PULSE, you idiot!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I somewhat support this idea, however it would have to have a constant, exponential, TOUGH power consumption. That way, no planet eaters, but drill ships are fine so long as they aren't much larger than your average cloak ship. (That's not to say that they would have to be made out of power like a cloak ship.)

Reactions: Employee763
    Reaction score
    I somewhat support this idea, however it would have to have a constant, exponential, TOUGH power consumption. That way, no planet eaters, but drill ships are fine so long as they aren't much larger than your average cloak ship. (That's not to say that they would have to be made out of power like a cloak ship.)
    I can see the reason behind this and appreciate it.