Read by Schine salvage beam specialization.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    many factions and most likely people are on the search for 1 or 2 sorts of recourses.
    rammet, zercaner and all the other ones.

I suggest a specialization of the salvage beam, this will make planet mining 100% server friendly.
    with a special customization you can choose which ore/shard (only "insert amount") you want to mine.
    then, when a beam hits a planet it will leave every block except the ones with the chosen ore/shard.

relying on my programming experience (about 0 lines of program writing) I believe this should fix the problem with planet mining making a server lag like hell.
    also this will help people get their recourses without having to destroy a whole planet (not blow up)

and maybe to be considered is a mining bonus for mining with a specialization
    only 1 ore/shard= 3x
    2 ore/shard=2x
    3+ ore/shard= 1x

Last edited:
    Reactions: Magirik3

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't think it would help with performance as much, it would reduce the volume of changes made to the chunks of the planets, but it'd introduce having to check if there's the specific mineral capable of being salvaged by the salvage beam. It's an interesting idea, but IMHO other things would work better.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    To make this less easy to exploit, maybe you would need to attach crystals similar to the way effect modules work, causing scaling bonuses from 3x ore and speed bonuses at 100% to no bonuses at 0%
    I don't think it would help with performance as much, it would reduce the volume of changes made to the chunks of the planets, but it'd introduce having to check if there's the specific mineral capable of being salvaged by the salvage beam. It's an interesting idea, but IMHO other things would work better.
    I'm not sure, but I think that the block update lags things more than the checking what the block is would. Especially since the client already would have that data loaded.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    To make this less easy to exploit, maybe you would need to attach crystals similar to the way effect modules work, causing scaling bonuses from 3x ore and speed bonuses at 100% to no bonuses at 0%

I'm not sure, but I think that the block update lags things more than the checking what the block is would. Especially since the client already would have that data loaded.
    Yeah, it's one of those things where it might optimize it, but it comes with a risk that we don't 100% know. I'm sure that schema/anyone with any technical experiance is laughing their asses off at one of us, I'm just not sure who.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436577039,1436576954][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, that bonus could be exploited by mining for one mineral at a time, it'd increase the work but it'd greatly increase the output.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, it's one of those things where it might optimize it, but it comes with a risk that we don't 100% know. I'm sure that schema/anyone with any technical experiance is laughing their asses off at one of us, I'm just not sure who.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436577039,1436576954][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, that bonus could be exploited by mining for one mineral at a time, it'd increase the work but it'd greatly increase the output.
    The more you have, the more you can get. To exploit it, you need to use a fair amount of it making the crystals. However, to further exploit it, you need ships with more crystals, and so you need to mine more. Basically, it creates a sort of progression for mining, so that mining never really ends up being a grind. The more you have of a resource to devote to a miner, the more of those resources you can get.
    Also keep in mind that crystals are fairly expensive, relatively speaking.
    Alternatively, you could make it so that this bonus is applied to asteroid types, and that you have a specific block crafted from the three resources on each asteroid. So that way asteroid mining becomes profitable at larger scales, reducing the benefits of planet mining and therefore creating less lag.
    If you have a moderate sized miner, it should take you a respectable amount of time to get the resources for a moderate sized ship. It should take you no time at all to get the resources for a tiny ship, and absolutely forever to get the resources for a titan.
    You could also make 100% be a 2x bonus, 200% be a 3x bonus, and so on. So to make mining more profitable you need to increase the number of crystals, or that specific block mentioned earlier, in relation to the number of salvagers, which probably also will increase.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Nah. I'd prefer the atmosphere disrupting salvage beams and the addition of Mantle Extractors as the solution to planet mining lag.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Nah. I'd prefer the atmosphere disrupting salvage beams and the addition of Mantle Extractors as the solution to planet mining lag.
    meh?! sorry what?
    that's from a different suggestion for sure, tell me what is it?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    meh?! sorry what?
    that's from a different suggestion for sure, tell me what is it?
    I think it was either keptick or Ithirahad who made it? Anyway, it's a thing you'd be able to place on a planet plate and "extract" regenerating ore from the planetary core.

Reactions: Macharius

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think it was either keptick or Ithirahad who made it? Anyway, it's a thing you'd be able to place on a planet plate and "extract" regenerating ore from the planetary core.
    It was Kep, I'm just the guy that keeps reminding everyone it needs to be made. :P

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    similar to this?
    http://wiki.aidancbrady.com/wiki/Digital_Miner
    but that seems a bit easy doesn't it?
    that's almost just making a block that gives random recourses.
    there should be more to it, a bit more interactive instead of a powered cube that mines stuff. I'd sure like it but it's a bit op.
    if you would find/have found a solution on this i'd agree totally with the suggestion