Salvage beam group only firing one beam?

Reaction score
    Hello all, new Star Maker here. Been playing less than a week and have been working on a salvage ship.

Most of the tutorial videos and info I'm finding is out dated but through trial and error, forum digging and even downloading and reverse engineering ships, I'm starting to figure things out.

One thing I'm struggling with though is salvage beam grouping. I love love love! The Super Harvest World Reaper 2.4 salvager from Crimson-Artist (mad props!). I'm basing the salvage ship I'm building on that design. Where I'm having trouble though is that his salvage guns are grouped together in a large diamond pattern. I'm duplicating this patter on a smaller scale but I can only seem to get one beam in the group to fire. I thought maybe it had to do with weapon system changes but the World Reaper does not have this issue, there doesn't appear to be any separation in the groups and all beams fire, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or he's done differently.

Any thoughts from the community on what could be causing my group to only fire one beam? Appreciate any help you experienced ship builders can provide.
    THANKS!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Uh. Make sure they are all connected to the same computer. Make sure they are in their own groups. They should work fine at that point. Not sure what to do after that point if it still does not work.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you build a salvage system with salvage blocks all in one massive, continuous blob, it will, by default, come out of a single block as a single beam.

Single massive blob of salvage blocks in ASCII form:
    OOOOO
    OOOOO
    OOOOO
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

Note: only one of those blocks will have the single output beam for the entire group of 25 salvage blocks.

You will need to have a space between different groups of salvage blocks, all still connected to the same salvage computer.

Multiple salvage blocks with a minimum of one space between different beams, in ASCII form:
    O_O_O
    _O_O_
    O_O_O
    _O_O_
    O_O_O

Note: Each of the 13 salvage blocks will emit its own salvage beam. (The underscores represent some other kind of block or empty space.)

To get enough power in each beam, you will probably want to create each group with multiple blocks in the third dimension as a line of blocks.

Reaction score
    Thanks, I thought that might be what it is. What I don't understand though is the ship I downloaded still has all the salvagers grouped like your first picture, i.e. no space between the blocks, and yet all the beams fire. Screenshot for reference.

Reaction score
    Ah, about to answer for you but there you go. This, ofc, works with all weapon blocks. Happy hunting!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Thanks, I thought that might be what it is. What I don't understand though is the ship I downloaded still has all the salvagers grouped like your first picture, i.e. no space between the blocks, and yet all the beams fire. Screenshot for reference.
    ah thats my Worldreaper.

I was only able to do this by logic linking two salvage computers

its possible to create a solid grid with only 1 salvage computer, just use the checkerboard pattern listed above but put another checkerboard behind the first grouping to fill in the gaps. the only problem is that you now have to worry abut range since one array is now further back than the other.

Again thx for downloading. Like I ask people, if you have any questions or concerns about my ships don't hesitate to send a PM or comment on my shipyard thread.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What I do for my salvage arrays is I create a waffle pattern of salvage and slaved cannons, and behind that I do the same thing but offset. This allows for a complete wall off salvage beams without needing a logic driven two computer system.

You can check out my salvage ship to see how that's set up.

http://starmadedock.net/content/ucs-sv-18114-a1-maul.1834/

I also prefer the ability to aim the beams without having to move the entire ship which is a downside to logic controlled salvage.

Reaction score
    Thanks all for the replies, I'll go with the checkerboard pattern for now, not ready to start messing with logic.

Thanks again to you Crimson for building the World Reaper in the first place and sharing it with the community. It's an amazing ship, both beautiful and functional.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    mgill0600 your most welcome.

Logic is definitely something you should at least experiment with. its just as versatile as Redstone from Minecraft.

when you're ready go check out Bench's Logic Tutorial Thread. he teaches the basics as well as advanced logic uses

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    On a slight derail here, how deep should an array be? If i want to mine out an asteroid in a few seconds, do i need several arrays that are 100 deep, or only 30 deep?

Reaction score
    On a slight derail here, how deep should an array be? If i want to mine out an asteroid in a few seconds, do i need several arrays that are 100 deep, or only 30 deep?
    Test both, or go from 10, then test with 25, then 50 etc. See if there's a ceiling on the usable number based on power/speed.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The bigger you go the faster it will be. All my arrays are 10 long with an equal part cannon slave and that works fairly well. My next bigger salvage ship may go up to 15 as I don't want too much distance between the front and back arrays.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The bigger you go the faster it will be. All my arrays are 10 long with an equal part cannon slave and that works fairly well. My next bigger salvage ship may go up to 15 as I don't want too much distance between the front and back arrays.
    I have been going off of the wiki. What i really want is to increase range, as i can not find blue asteroids(the ones with the shield materials), so i have to mine them from planets.

http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Salvage_Cannon

The new pirate stations have made things interesting, as now exploring is more hazardous. I do wish that scanners told me what each type of asteroid was, so that i could only get the ones that i need.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I have been going off of the wiki. What i really want is to increase range, as i can not find blue asteroids(the ones with the shield materials), so i have to mine them from planets.

http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Salvage_Cannon

The new pirate stations have made things interesting, as now exploring is more hazardous. I do wish that scanners told me what each type of asteroid was, so that i could only get the ones that i need.
    that wiki is technically defunct. its has old info.

if you want to increase the range of the salvage arrays then you can slave damage beams to it however atm slaving anything other than cannons to salvage arrays is pointless.

if you want to work in-atmosphere then use the Defensive Stop Effect on your ship. Defensive Stop nullifies Gravity

Reactions: philthy mcnasty
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I did not know that about the stop beams nullifying gravity. That is very good to know. Is there a ratio I have to follow for ship size? also do i have to activate the computer, or is it passive?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I did not know that about the stop beams nullifying gravity. That is very good to know. Is there a ratio I have to follow for ship size? also do i have to activate the computer, or is it passive?
    if you connect it to a weapon it becomes offensive but if you just connect it to your ship then it becomes a defensive effect. every effect has a offensive and defensive ability, heres a list of all weapon combos as well as offensive and defensive effects.

yes there is a ratio, the bigger you build your ship the more modules that you have to connect. its different for every effect so design accordingly. and yeah you have to activate the effect manually or through logic

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am starting to understand, and appreciate, the need for logic now, as some of the tutorials for it showed how to make simple always on circuits, so for passive affects, you can set those up to always be on rather than have them take up hot bar space.

Quick question on scanners, how long should those be, and what benefit are they? The new wiki makes no mention of them.