Bug Runtime Exception: LWJGL Exception - Failed to set display mode (-2)

Reaction score
    Hello,

Before I start, I would like to state that I already submitted a bug/crash report using the in-game tool. I am also posting here for reference and what to do to fix for other users that may get this issue.

I tried to login to Starmade on Thursday and got the security errors, because of the security certificate being expired, that got fixed. I then tried to login Saturday the 28th and got this error. I didn't pay it any mind. Today I logged in and still got it, so I decided to report on it.

It lets me continue to the connection screen just fine, but once you connect, either to any server or a local instance, you get this pop up. Then if you try to connect again, it says you are already connected. I tried to do a repair and try again, still get the error. Ran the starmade sys check tool from another post, said everything was ok. What else should I try or should just completely remove and then install again?

Thanks.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The "already connected" error can be caused by the javaw process still remaining in the background after the crash; try killing it using Task Manager.

To fix the display mode exception, I would try changing the resolution setting in the Connection Setup dialog, and/or turning fullscreen mode on/off. I tried a quick test selecting a resolution larger than my display and windowed mode was used automatically, so am taking a guess here based on the exception. If this doesn't work then it may help to post information from the client log (log.txt.0) and graphcisinfo.txt.

Reaction score
    It seems the error is happening on any resolution in full screen. If i take it off, it is fine. At least at all 1920x 1080 or less resolutions.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe check if your display's refresh rate has been changed, in Control Panel -> Display -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced settings, and/or in the Nvidia or ATI Catalyst control panel if applicable. (I haven't had any problem at 60Hz. I'm not sure whether StarMade tries to specify the refresh rate, but some non-StarMade hits on Google related to it.)

Reaction score
    I think that was the issue. The new Nvidia update that came out on thursday must have set the refresh rate to default to the gsync rate of 63. I set it to 60 and it seems to be fine now. Thanks, I will keep in touch if it acts up again. Don't close thread quite yet moderators.