Rule of 5

Who should be able to vote?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, players had too much voice and input to the game and community, so 7 council members was too many. They have decided to cut back on how us players are represented.

Also, this just in, you must buy your votes, and your right to vote! Only players who have bought into the _alpha_ can vote. Schine only wants your money, no matter how long you've been around, for this _alpha_ game that still has no version past 0.1 ...

Just the news and facts, folks, in case some didn't notice the fine print.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It was the community's idea that there should be a paywall for the voting.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The community asked for this. The conversation was happening for weeks. You had your time to voice your opinion.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    actually,Duke (Dev) was really fighting against the "pay to vote" ,but he gave us a choice.. and community voted for pay to vote. so yeah

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also anyone is allowed to run for council, not to mention make game suggestions for consideration by the council and Schine. These are actually more direct ways to influence the game than voting for council members.

Reaction score
    It's not like this is a burgeoning community where your voice is crowded out. I think anything good that comes from the community usually gets recognition no problem. I can't understand the problem with keeping voting restricted to people who are pretty serious about the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can only say, oh how much do I miss the disagree rating button. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    We cut down to five because 2 councilors were not active enough from what I saw. I was getting a majority of information, useful or not, from 5 councilors.

The other forum users have already pointed out that it was the choice of the community to go for the paywall. If you are invested enough in being a councilor, a volunteer position you hold to hopefully help out the developers, we would think you'd start by doing the most helpful thing. Buying the game means we can keep our job finish the game.

Reactions: Keptick and Lecic

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    We cut down to five because 2 councilors were not active enough from what I saw. I was getting a majority of information, useful or not, from 5 councilors.

The other forum users have already pointed out that it was the choice of the community to go for the paywall. If you are invested enough in being a councilor, a volunteer position you hold to hopefully help out the developers, we would think you'd start by doing the most helpful thing. Buying the game means we can keep our job finish the game.
    Were the Councillors inactive because of the number of seats or because of external reasons?
    If it's the latter, this seems like more of a problem than less of one.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Were the Councillors inactive because of the number of seats or because of external reasons?
    If it's the latter, this seems like more of a problem than less of one.
    Doesn't matter. I believe we can accomplish what we did this term with just 5, and that has been my stance since after the first term.

Reactions: Jaaskinal
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Doesn't matter. I believe we can accomplish what we did this term with just 5, and that has been my stance since after the first term.
    Well, if all the inactive ones were to be reelected perpetually for some reason, potential council activity would be reduced by reducing the number of councillors, assuming they weren't inactive because all there was to do was already done by other councillors.
    Whether or not that will have a negative effect depends on the workload in the next term.

Reaction score
    What developers even have a dedicated team of players that go and directly communicate with the players? I think we should just respect the decision and see how it plays out in the game. As it goes so far, a lot of features in the game right now are from countless suggestion from the fans. I really don't see why anyone would have a problem.

Reactions: Jaaskinal
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    You missed the point, and...

*looks at my join date*
    *looks at your join date*

...noob... SMH
    What an elitist attitude. I guess that extra year you were registered on here really makes the difference huh.

*looks at his post count*
    *looks at your post count*

If anyone is more involved with the community on here, its him.

Reactions: Criss and Jaaskinal

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    if all the inactive ones were to be reelected perpetually for some reason
    We have the right to deny it. Dalmont is far too busy so he will not be entering his application this time around. Skylord wasn't so inactive but I hear he is also not running.

a lot of features in the game right now are from countless suggestion from the fans
    Bit of an exageration. Many features making it into the game are expected to be there in the first place, and many people, players and devs alike tend to agree that X Y and Z need to be in the game. The vast majority of suggestions are minor things that cater to individuals needs.

Some are good ideas however. We collected 136 suggestions from the community with this current term. The developers have been given access to them and ranked some as being more important than others. I will be making sure the few that rank the highest make their way to the teams eyes as we work on areas of the game where the suggestion fits our roadmap.

With regards to the OP and other comments, no, obviously we do not consider 55 people on the forum the entire community. But this is where we setup shop. We have large French and Russian communities, which is why we are trying to properly translate the game for them. We would see more input from them if we had dedicated French or Russian team members, but we do not. There are also other groups that generally don't use the dock or know about it. Regardless, this is where we see the most suggestions, content, and discussion happening and so this is where we are paying the most of our attention to.

Reactions: alterintel

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    We have the right to deny it. Dalmont is far too busy so he will not be entering his application this time around. Skylord wasn't so inactive but I hear he is also not running.

Bit of an exageration. Many features making it into the game are expected to be there in the first place, and many people, players and devs alike tend to agree that X Y and Z need to be in the game. The vast majority of suggestions are minor things that cater to individuals needs.

Some are good ideas however. We collected 136 suggestions from the community with this current term. The developers have been given access to them and ranked some as being more important than others. I will be making sure the few that rank the highest make their way to the teams eyes as we work on areas of the game where the suggestion fits our roadmap.

With regards to the OP and other comments, no, obviously we do not consider 55 people on the forum the entire community. But this is where we setup shop. We have large French and Russian communities, which is why we are trying to properly translate the game for them. We would see more input from them if we had dedicated French or Russian team members, but we do not. There are also other groups that generally don't use the dock or know about it. Regardless, this is where we see the most suggestions, content, and discussion happening and so this is where we are paying the most of our attention to.
    I'm a big fan of sociology, and what you have here is a sample group of your most interested players. These are probably the more dedicated players who put the most work into their thoughts. I think crowd-sourcing ideas is wonderful way to do things, because it allows you guys, the developers, to be more responsive to complaints and it can help shape the game to be more agreeable and fun for the general public. It creates a win/win situation, and I don't think it's fair for anyone to actually be complaining about this or criticizing it. To me, you guys demonstrate good judgement in what you take from these forums, and the fact that you actually take the time to listen to your community is really cool. We all know that we cannot hope to represent the whole world, and I think you guys already know that too, but that doesn't mean this kind of communication can't have value, right? :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463480489,1463479685][/DOUBLEPOST]

*looks at my join date*

...noob... SMH

Also, are we defining "Community" to be 55 people? That's consensus on the "Dock" right?
    Got it. 55 people is now the StarMade Community. Thanks :)
    I suggest you take a step back for a moment. You're headed in a dangerous path here, jumping to conclusions and throwing accusations, and insulting other forum goers. You need to ask yourself, did you look into the reasoning for why voters are required to be paid subscribers, before you started this post?

The reasoning here is to help prevent cheating in the vote. By only allowing paid accounts to vote, it greatly reduces the likelihood of someone who has multiple accounts to get multiple votes. This was a conversation held by forum goers, who argued FOR this. Sure, there are pros and cons here. I have already had friends who could not vote for me. But if you had looked into the issue first, I think you'd have known that greed was not the motivator. I would even like to point out that that if the developers wanted to use the privilege of voting for the council as a way to boost sales, I STILL think that would not be greedy. The reason for this is that the developers do not have to be holding votes at all. They do not need to be listening to us either or even responding to your accusations here. I feel this shows courtesy to the community, and would you agree that perhaps you shouldn't have been so quick to judge? :) Have a great day.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I meant more how player feedback has effected how the features are implemented. As far as I see it Schema seems to be aware of what the fans say and develops the game accordingly. I don't think anyone would have the impression that the community is ignored. Not for any logical reasons at least.

I mean how would you even know who to vote for if you aren't on this forum? Sounds like a lot a pointless whining to me.

Last edited:

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Yes, players had too much voice and input to the game and community, so 7 council members was too many. They have decided to cut back on how us players are represented.

Also, this just in, you must buy your votes, and your right to vote! Only players who have bought into the _alpha_ can vote. Schine only wants your money, no matter how long you've been around, for this _alpha_ game that still has no version past 0.1 ...

Just the news and facts, folks, in case some didn't notice the fine print.

*looks at my join date*

...noob... SMH

Also, are we defining "Community" to be 55 people? That's consensus on the "Dock" right?
    Got it. 55 people is now the StarMade Community. Thanks :)
    Have you ever thought before you posted at any point in your life anywhere?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463538527,1463535366][/DOUBLEPOST]I want, - no, I have - to make two posts just to convey how utterly ridiculous your posts are. I want you to really think over what you said, use those critical thinking skills and get back to me as to why the argument you tried to make here is garbage. I think if all of your little clan gets together in an old-fashioned pow-wow you might just scrounge up two brain cells to rub together for the task.