Ruben - a players build progress

Reaction score
    You can use everything here as you see fit. Even for target practice!

All blueprint files and more screens available in dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ur500jb1irs655p/AADLlC_6s20uiGVDzP6Ir23Sa?dl=0

First my first ship the Big Yellow Bus or Big Yellow Brick. Now retired with honor though sometimes serving as a target for weapon testing.
    BYB Retired-screenshot-0015.png
    Four pirate ships to replace the provided ones:

ScrapBike
    ScrapBike-screenshot-0022.png
    ScrapBlasterBoat
    Scrap BlasterBoat-screenshot-0016.png
    ScrapBlasterBoatM2
    Scrap BlasterBoatM2-screenshot-0007 (2).png
    ScrapMissileLocker
    ScrapMissileLock Fast Shield-screenshot-0017.png
    ScrapMissileLocker from Helm
    ScrapMissileLock Fast Shield from Helm-screenshot-0021.png
    Then we moved to a far away system and started with nothing making everything by hand:

Ruben Industrial M8 - 3 docked pods with antigrav capable of surveying planets for resources, also serving as private crew quarters. Captain's quarters. Crew lounge and eating area. Main ship - jump drive - scanner - antigrav - overdrive - radar jam - some shields - salvage beams.
    RubenIndM8 all Docked-screenshot-0026.png View from an undocked pod of cockpit and crew lounge
    RubenIndM8 From Pod3-screenshot-0022 (2).png Ruben Industrial M8 Engineering
    RubenIndM8 Modules2-screenshot-0015.png
    Lastly Beginning to explore logic and turrets.

This is a cheap grey hull and glass cockpit only. The canopy can be operated from a button on the outside or from the ship core. External button on opposite side.
    Ruben Cheap Rail Canopy-screenshot-0007.png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Decided that the Ruben Industrial needed a safer airlock system. Utilizing RubenTech (RubenTech = less fancy tech found in surplus store) this hefty airlock was devised. It is a ship so is dockable and I just proceeded to dock a couple of them onto the industrial as retrofits.
    starmade-screenshot-0009.png

starmade-screenshot-0008.png

and a movie of the airlocks operation in dropbox.... stand inbetween yellow hazard blocks and the lock pushes you to the other side while maintaining a seal.... if lock is on wrong side push button to call back.

Reactions: Gasboy
    Reaction score
    Dockable power sounds fun so a prototype dockable power supply was devised.

RubenTech Prototype Generator M1
    Prototype Generator M1.png
    Utilizing what is apparently the smallest possible power module configuration that is also the most efficient volume wise. As per the Starmade Wiki. Turn it on and off . Display screen shows some real time info.

1849.7e/sec supplied by power module configuration
    1465.5e/sec actual output

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ur500jb1irs655p/AADLlC_6s20uiGVDzP6Ir23Sa?dl=0 for videos

Reaction score
    Redid the prototype generator and although I was not planning on using it on my ship I went ahead and did it anyways just to try it out. These small units are not supplying quite enough power but was enough to test out the jump drive ect. Worked fine and nothing fell off mid jump. No claim as to how well docked power works in pvp.

Potential Power Supplied by Unit: 3943.6e/sec
    Actual Power Supplied by Unit: 2913.4e/sec

View of docked units
    Docked RubenTech PG M3.png

Video that is a bit painful to watch of the docking and use of the docked power units. (in folder "A. Docked Power Units")
    If you want blueprints see inside the "Blueprint" folder. Called "RubenTech PG M3 Barebones"

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    A couple power/shield generators that I spent too much time on to not post them. The quadcore power generator was fun but only gave a very small benifit over just checkerboarding it. The shield/power combo generator.... has a sixty second delay built into it to drop combat and regain normal shield recharge rate and another delay to utilize the normal recharge rate. Would need over 60 of these to get a continuous smooth shield recharge rate. During the sixty second delay it switches over to providing power then stops providing power once back out of combat. Working on a progammable billboard but should make a ship I guess. Thanks enjoy.

Available colors: Grey starmade-screenshot-0015.png

sments and vid in dropbox

Folder: Docked Power Supplies
    Vid: RubenTech SPGs

Last edited:
    Reactions: Gasboy
    Reaction score
    Ug. That was harder than I expected. This ship turned out heavier, slower, and less sleek looking that I wanted. A case of trying to jam too much into it I think. Think of this ship as a souped up sedan that someone might take out on a Friday night to cruise up and down the strip.
    starmade-screenshot-0016.png

See folder "2Seat Luxery CraftM4"

Hope you get some amusement out of these posts while on break at work or whatever. I know I do so keep all your posts coming.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    Not being too happy with the souped up 2Seater above I refined and sleeked it down going for a more mature look. Ditched the docked power supplies, ditched the rotating pods, used less black light, and gave the passenger an inner ship button so that they can operate their own door while seated inside the ship. Black Adavanced Armor, anti gravity is about 97%, top speed is about 102 m/s.

Refined Luxury 2SeatTourer.png

See folder "Refined Luxury Two-Seat-Tourer"

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    Another small ship.... large ships will wait till i know more so as to not waste a bunch of effort... this is a miniaturized version of the 2seater above. RubenTech Single Seat Tourer is definitely meant for civilized space as it is made of cheap hull but it does benifit from the lesser mass. Top speed is 123.7ms, anti gravity is 100% effective, and again it utilizes rails and buttons to have a sliding canopy.

Single Seat Tourer.png

See folder "Single Seat Tourer" for movie and sment.

Thanks

Reaction score
    I'd bet this has been done to death but I have a try anyways.

edit: looks like shield recharge under combat is 10% not 5% , at least when I fired the shield beam onto another entity a few minutes ago it looked like recharge rate dropped to 10%. Not sure where I got 5% from. So that makes this even less efficient. Less efficient than just putting shield recharge blocks in your ship. Probably all wrong with bad math anyways haha.

Questionable results from RubenTech R&D. First we took this grey shield/power generator previously shown earlier in this post, cleaned it up, and took it to its logical end. The time between shield dumps of the grey unit is 83 seconds which requires 83 units to have one shield dump per second. Rounded up to 84.
    Grey SPG.png into SPG Viewing Array.png
    I used rails as timers for each of the 84 units but very quickly the firing sequence degraded from 1 per second to clusters of 6 every 6 seconds roughly. It does provide half again more in-combat shields (I believe in-combat recharge is 5% of normal) than if the same number of blocks (1779 per unit) had been replaced with shield rechargers as part of the target ship and not docked. It does continue to charge shields of the target even if the targets shields are reduced to zero which normally would result in a ten second penalty of zero shield recharge. Clumping of the firing sequence often results in periods of zero recharge reaching ten seconds anyways so this benifit is lost. The array also appears to cause some lag but not sure. Sorry if some of my assumptions here are wrong!

What I learned:

If I attempted this again I would not use rails as timers but make one logic timer to run them all.

Oh yes. When I made the original blueprint of the first single unit I think I must have had the unit running at the time. I suspect that this caused my logic flip flops to end up in the wrong state about half the time when printing off the next 83 units. Took me a bit to realize what was wrong. There is a small vid of me correcting one of the flip flops.

as usual some vids for your enjoyment, and a sment if you like (turn off your sound for vids)

dropbox folder "Shield & Power Array"

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Just tested it after the Internationalization update and it is working. It does continue to recharge the target it is docked to while the targets shields have dropped to zero. The "shield/block/second" seems to have been reduced to match that of what shield recharger blocks would do. But to be honest I really have no idea as I am not really sure how shields work. This is a fun build and I hope to use it in a future ship. Just note that it is not going to put out 0.6 -0.7 shield per second per block anymore as I previously claimed below it seems.

If you are interested in this type of build you should be able to rebuild it yourself to squeeze some better numbers out of it. Cause I am not going to do it. Or at least not put a sment up hehe.

Regards.
    Ruben

Edit Nov 7 2015. glad im not bumping this. ok it basically works after the language update... actually i saw a bug fixed that was something to do with supply beams appearing to shoot through stuff when they were in fact actually working... game is alpha and will be in constant change and balancing it is to be expected that anything we make can become broken at any time

Edit:!!! Do not bother downloading this sment. As of the last update which I installed today 05/11/2015 the sment file for this thing no longer works or rather prints off a copy that shoots thru the target. Maybe it was never supposed to work and I somehow glitched it into working. Anyway I went to bed last night with this docked to my station supplying shields just fine but after updating nada. I did start reassembling a new identical unit just to try and that one seems to work but nah... too much work. Time to move on. This was my funnest and most satisfying build to date as it took me alot of messing around and balancing but once I finally got it it was very satisfying. Worked for a couple days hehe.

Had another go at the dockable shield rechargers.

SPG Viewing Array.png this one (M1) was launched into the nearest star

and then another (M2) was made from scratch Shield Array M2.png .

The M2 has no moving parts or dynamic display panels.

High end shield recharge is about 50,000s/sec
    Low end shield recharge is about 42000s/sec

High end results in about 0.7s/block/sec
    Low end results in about 0.6s/block/sec

This should continue to provide shields even when shields get depleted to zero and ignore the 10 second penalty. I hope....

I think this will work.... I hope.... or maybe it will go all out of wack once docked onto a real ship and not just a core with some red hulls.

Seems to hold its firing sequence this time. Some frustration due to me not understanding exactly how shields recharge was experienced. For example I did not know that shields would recharge fastest at low shields and slow down at high shields.

Movies and sment in drop box. See file "Shield Array M2"

oh ya, and I focused only on shields and didnt try to also provide power

thanks

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    One more then I feel done with these shield supplies and look forward to something a little different. This is the same design as above just greatly ruduced in size.

Block count is 2448.
    Output into a target's shields is approx 1000s/sec. This is very close to what the same number of shield rechargers will output.

Tradeoff is continued recharge after shields get popped againts 20 times the recharge rate if you can drop combat for 60 seconds. And I dont know what all those supply beams may do to lag.

Edit: Another trade off is having the firing sequence circuit cut once shields hit zero. That will kill your shield recharge haha. Had that happen from a penetration? beam.

RubenTech 1200 Shield Array.png

See folder "1200 Shield Array" for vids and sment

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h66fx0inphjm5mi/AAB7q3ppSAnAjYlG2aSEsz0ia?dl=0
    My attempt at a combat ship utilizing the small shield supplier from above. Envisioned this being a fast fighter interceptor but did not realize how slow to turn it would get as I added mass. Going to continue and finish it anyways. In progress and all the extra blocks are there to simulate expected mass in order to get the correct thrust power ect.
    Combat Ship M1 in progress 1.png

top speed: 150
    radar jam
    jump enhibitor x3
    the cluster under the cockpit is slow effect beams (beam/cannon/slow) 2 each
    x2 (280 cannon/250 cannon/280 punch) one on the underside of cockpit left and right sides (breaks 1 advanced armor block and half of next advanced armor block per bullet)

If you want to throw some advice my way on this one go ahead I wouldnt mind it. Advice might not be implemented until the next ship.

For some reason I used a separate cannon computer for left and right cannons. Now not sure how to fire both at once. Hooked them to inner ship remote and a timer but I think they will have to be redone. The slow beams are set to fire repeatedly by themselves.

Hooked both cannons to same comp.

Running into some problem with wireless losing its connections after copying. I am guessing it has something to do with copying while logic is running. Not too many broke so will fix and leave everything off while copying.
    Combat Ship M1 inprogress 2.png See "Combat Ship M1" for video and accidental docking of entities inside each other.

Thought I should have made new docked power units but was lazy and now it is a bit of a pain to get smoot timing on these ones so there is a dead spot in the power flow and an excess power wasted spot. Need to install i an initial firing sequencer I think.

Seems the purpose of this ship is to crash the enemies systems due to all the docked units. DUR! Forgot I reinstalled the game and that the memory settings were reset. Thanks to a post by Arsat (http://steamcommunity.com/app/244770/discussions/0/537405286658725320/)on the steam forums for telling me again what to set the memory to. Running better now.

Unfortunatly my docked power supplies require a complete rebuild so as to have hardwired timing similar to the shield supply. Their timing seems to clump when the server saves. Not really interested in going backwards on this ship so putting some cap in to compensate rather than rebuild. Cannon effect would have also helped. Next time.

Haha. This time. See where laziness got me? I prob still would have made them wrong anyways so prob best this way. Redoing the power sups in order to gain smooth power supply.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Edit:
    CombatShipM1 - final before scrapping.png
    I am calling this a misadventure and before it goes any farther this crime againts shipbuilding is going into the scrap heap. Too much server stress on my single player game. So ends the tale of Combat Ship M1. I should mention that it had 524 supply beams lol. Perhaps I can cut that down a bit hehe. When we destroyed it by attacking (we used Brawler Light Destroyer made by Trident Industries - Jamster0000) with other ships the collision of all those parts caused some server slowdown and ejected the pieces up to a km away wow! It just exploded haha.

Oh ya and I want to mention that it turns out that 1 second intervals in docked power supply isnt that smooth. You can consume alot of power in the 1 sec gap between supply intervals. It is certainaly doable though. Three solutions I can think of... abandon docked power (never! at least not till I make it work)... speed up interval from 1 sec to 0.5 sec ..... add cannon support effect to the supply beams.

So... to try again. Since I want a maneuverable ship the first task is to find out what my mass limit will be. Raising the mouse sensitivity seems to be very helpful in increasing turning speed. 1400mass is still too slow turning for my liking but in my opinion this is about the max mass for fairly managable turning with max mouse sensitivity.

mmmm.... some lack of or conflicting info on what dictates turning speed... mass/dimensions/center of mass ... in any case I am confused at the moment.

Ok I am going to try and go with a target of 700mass/3000thrust/5.0 mouse sensitivity and see how it works out.

Currently sitting at 400mass with power and skin still to go. Same weapon as before but this time just a single 280 cannon/250 cannon/280 punch. Now that I wrote that I realize I did 280/280/250 so will fix. I like the slightly slower firing rate of the 250. Making some progress with the docked power. The problem is to remember the purpose of the docked power which is basically RP. Try to make it too efficient and it stops looking like a thing that might be interacted with in some way. Estimated surface area of finished ship to be 2100 blocks and since its a shield ship basic hull = 210 mass. Plus estimated mass of power supply is 320mass. 930mass. Kinda blew my mass budget and will need to see how 930mass flies. Feels like 800mass is really my max after trying it out again.

Since armor is not one of my concerns decorative blocks, which look like they have a mass of 0.03, should do well. This drops the estimated mass down to 783mass which could be further lowered by simply leaving parts of the ship naked.

Power consumption should be 250,000e/sec so got one power module made that should supply 125,000e per burst. The plan is a series of ten of them with each unit firing once every 5 seconds for a rate of one supply beam every half second. 300 mass for that. Should probably use cannons as support instead.

Went with two power supplies with 1:1 cannon effect offset from each other by 1.5 seconds.

-----------------

It would be easier and more efficient to not used docked supply but I am liking gizmos right now. To hopefully obtain dependable steady power flow for the ship above this was devised. Same idea as the shield supply but the cycle time is 5 seconds instead of 74 seconds. It is quite inefficient but I am expecting it to work. Only need 44 of them.
    7800 Power Array M1.png
    7800 e/second
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q5l0zsqdobnoli5/AABwbqQVvAH4SQvtXC7YBjHaa?dl=0

Realized I forgot to have the power supply computers bumped twice instead of just once. Went back and fixed that so now it provides 9740e/second. Sment for M2 in same file. Called a 10,000 because it should put out 10,000 if it was perfect.

Should probably test this one out then make a larger one.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Ok got the revised docked power and shields combat ship redone. It still turned out a bit too heavy to be nice and agile as the max mass was supposed to be 800 but it turned out at 877. I lost 2 out of 2 pvp rounds in it though later realized I had forgotten to close of the cockpit leaving it open to incoming rounds.

It doesnt perform as well as I had hoped so I chose to consider it an older tech from a forgotten empire. This one has survived to the present in remarkably good condition but you will find that the power supplies are a bit finicky as the supply beams occasionally become untargeted from the ship and fire uselessly off into space. The alert pilot will quickly reengage whatever modules have powered down after the power supply comes back online which is usually about a second later.

Forgotten Empire CombatShip M2.png

mass: 877
    thrust: 3980
    max speed: 147m/s
    power: dual 137,000 cannon effect supply beams
    shield: 40960 with 51.2% resist
    shield recharge: 1,000 every 2 seconds via 37 shield supply beams
    blocks: 8340
    turning speed x 1.1 y1.3 z 1.1
    structure hitpoints: 427,870
    armor hitpoints: 6,750

weapon: 280 cannon/250 cannon/280 punch