RTS mode

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think it would be cool if, instead of flying your ship directly, there could be an option to control it a bit like how you control ships in Homeworld. Would be nice for long journys (no more holding w forever) and could also be nice for turret based capital ships.

And of course, it would be more or less needed once fleet AI comes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I like it, but I am too sure how practical it is. I am not even sure you can do that with starmade, and even if you could the coding that would likely be required is likely to be massive. Even if its not there are other aspects of the game that need to be finished first, like a good 3rd person view.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If we had a freaking throttle/thrust logic block we could do some alternative engineering and get part way there. While throttle (ie variable speed) seems to be beyond current coding a simple thrust on/off logic block would do.

A logic block that recognizes waypoints, Active waypoint = True/on waypoint reached Inactive = False/off would make it usable. Since the code for reaching waypoints is already in place for nav/jump connecting that code to a block with true/false signals that could be transmitted to a throttle/thrust control would work IMHO

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok, I know this is a rather old-ish thread, but I really love rts games and I would love it if an rts feature could be implemented. So, that being said, maybe there could be like a holo table on your capital ships or something that gives access to your fleet? Or maybe just an option on your GUI that says 'fleet control' or something, that way they don't have to add a whole new block to the game. But it could give a top down view of 9 sectors in a square, much like the galaxy map, with the one that you are in being the center, with all the ships in those nine sectors as little arrows facing the direction that the ships are facing. With allied ships being green, fleet ships being brighter green, enemies being red, and neutrals being blue.

You could click on your fleet ships and give them 4 commands, attack (click on the ship you want them to attack) move (click where you want them to move), follow, (click on the ship you want them to follow), and idle, which is self explanatory.

Though a holo table would be pretty cool...

Anyways, don't know if anyone cares or not, but those are my ideas.

Reactions: Parameter
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I'd like it if I could turn on a bobby AI my ship and have it navigate to within a half klick of of my target and then stop. Maybe an autopilot mode for a Bobby where it uses no weapons, just thrust, but on receiving damage it activates adjacent logic blocks? Alternatively, it could activate adjacent logic blocks on reaching the target destination.

That way, the navigation tab and galaxy map become kind of like a planning screen where you could choose a navigation target, but you'd have to manually pilot or have an autopilot on your ship to get there.

You could even allow selection of sequential waypoints in the galaxy map, so you could chart a route through several systems and then fly it.

I really like EMC007's suggestion of a holo table, too. It could be a detailed view of the navigation pane. Perhaps scanner data would be used to fill the display? You could also show fuzzy volumes for partially detected cloaked/jammed ships. You could click on ships in the holo display and see hp/shields/power, etc., based on your scans. You could implement as view-only at first. Then, as we get expanded AI and perhaps fleet updates, it could morph into a command interface, too.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of way point navigation with autopilot, it would make it easier to "explore" systems. I agree that it should drop to manual control if you come under attack.