RP blocks decorative blocks

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hi !

I'd love to see more choice for decorating ships and other builds. Blocks like food distributor, personal computers, air shaft grid, electric wiring and the likes. Those block would not need to be "active" blocks, just more decorative panel kind.

I am using all the computers, power an thruster blocks already but more choice would be grreat for RP builds.

Reactions: rocketman221

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd like to see this kind of thing as well... Not to mention panels on wedges, more types of hull, red, blue, green, and orange force field blocks, sliding doors (For god's sakes, we shouldn't have to use freaking airlocks for front doors on buildings and internal doorways), colored glowing crystals, trail-rendering blocks, fire particle emitting blocks, different styles of signs and CPU/screen blocks...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    The good part on my idea, i think, is that decorative panel, coloured blocks are non active blocks. So for Shema to implement them is only-i believe- a matter that will not influence the physics of the game in any way.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Mods are a great way to add decorative blocks, considering each person has their own personal preferences and tastes. The Immersive Blocks Mod adds a lot more blocks purely for decoration, also I'm working on a Starwars-inspired mod called DirtySpace, more akin to wire panelling, computer screens, pipes, etc.

Too many default decorative blocks could bog down the game. Mods are a fantastic alternative, considering that individual servers or players can decide what mods suit them best, or even make their own, for that matter.

Immersive Blocks Mod: starmadedock.net/content/immersive-blocks.7/

DirtySpace Project: azuriteart.blogspot.com

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Mods are great, sure, but i feel its a bit earlier for that. More for me so... I'd like the thing to be available to everybody and especially i'd like everybody to be able to see beautifull creations without having to load a mod. I'll check your site nonetheless ;)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Mods are a great way to add decorative blocks, considering each person has their own personal preferences and tastes. The Immersive Blocks Mod adds a lot more blocks purely for decoration, also I'm working on a Starwars-inspired mod called DirtySpace, more akin to wire panelling, computer screens, pipes, etc.

Too many default decorative blocks could bog down the game. Mods are a fantastic alternative, considering that individual servers or players can decide what mods suit them best, or even make their own, for that matter.

Immersive Blocks Mod: starmadedock.net/content/immersive-blocks.7/

DirtySpace Project: azuriteart.blogspot.com
    Yes, but unless mods can seamlessly transfer (upload/download) blocks through blueprints across different servers... No. Sure, we can make all the mods we want, but what's the use if only people with the pack installed will see them? The point is to have multiple styles to use in the game that everyone can see. Options, not game customization. You should be able to build in clean, colorful Star Trek-esque style , and still be able to see someone else's grungy, steampunk-esque brown and gray gritty ships.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    You should be able to build in clean, colorful Star Trek-esque style , and still be able to see someone else's grungy, steampunk-esque brown and gray gritty ships.
    This would require downloading every players image resources from the server on the fly. (a bad idea)
    Having them all loaded throughout your playing time. (another bad idea)
    Then what if other players are using 256 and you set your own at 64? you would either have to compress huge amounts of image files on the fly or get stuck trying to load other peoples textures at a higher res than you intended.

From a technical standpoint its near impossible, from a game play perspective it gets even worse.

It breaks emersion. Imagine the joke textures people would inflict on others. Most of all you would get people exploiting transparency or missing diffuse textures for perma stealth.

As for decorative blocks? Yep. I'd like to see more over time.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Suggestions for more types: Fire extiguishers, first aid kits, hull with lettering.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Suggestions for more types: Fire extiguishers, first aid kits, hull with lettering.
    I would love a clean method for hull insignia.

Additionally I would like to see things like chairs (be cool if they were functional), signage, a lot more decorative block options.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think the most important would be chairs, signs, and some form of cryo-chamber/bed etc as they can be functional and decorative. While other decorative blocks should be added, I do not believe they need to be anytime soon.

On another note, this topic has been discussed to death. I've seen countless threads between this website and the old one about this, and it's getting old.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If I get a hull block with letters, I don't want 1 block for every color.

I want a shape, something to fill that shape and something to paint that shape (posters -or textures- and paint)

I want at least steel, grey bricks, etc.
    I know this game is in future, but wouldn't some historically interested re-build ancient buildings?

And I think that it would be good to use overlay-blocks which only partially hide others to effectively gain more unique styles.

But somehow I miss details on a block-scale.
    It would be cool if blocks were 1/2 times as big and players could squish through down to 1/2m thin, 1m tall tunnels/passages.
    It would allow us to have more detailed interior.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Then what if other players are using 256 and you set your own at 64? you would either have to compress huge amounts of image files on the fly or get stuck trying to load other peoples textures at a higher res than you intended.

From a technical standpoint its near impossible, from a game play perspective it gets even worse.

It breaks emersion. Imagine the joke textures people would inflict on others. Most of all you would get people exploiting transparency or missing diffuse textures for perma stealth.

...Those are the other reasons I didn't suggest server-client on-the-fly transfers... All of this is why I'm saying we should have multiple styles of everything (at least decorative blocks and hull) by default. Sorry that the point of my post wasn't clear.

Reaction score
    This would require downloading every players image resources from the server on the fly. (a bad idea)
    Having them all loaded throughout your playing time. (another bad idea)

As for decorative blocks? Yep. I'd like to see more over time.
    This wouldn't be near impossible, or even necessarily be all that hard. I can see a very simple way to allow for multiple texture pack use, although I don't think that's what OP was suggesting.

Multiple textures would be server controlled. Only server admins could add new textures. There would be a default texture, and that could be over-ridden as usual through the launcher.

Planets, asteroids, shops, pirates, etc would all use the default texture. When you created a ship though, you would be able to access a setting through the build block that would apply a different texture for that ship, which would be seen by everyone, no matter what texture they selected as default.

Clients would only have to download the texture packs for that server when they connected. All texture packs on the server should be required to have all the resolutions the game allows, and the resolution used by the client would be dependent on the resolution of the texture pack the user sets as the default texture.

It would require quite a bit of reworking to allow the game to display multiple textures at once, but other than that, not a whole lot of changes. There would be the change to set an entity's texture pack, and a change to the client to look at that setting when the entity is loaded.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This wouldn't be near impossible, or even necessarily be all that hard. I can see a very simple way to allow for multiple texture pack use, although I don't think that's what OP was suggesting.

Multiple textures would be server controlled. Only server admins could add new textures. There would be a default texture, and that could be over-ridden as usual through the launcher.

Planets, asteroids, shops, pirates, etc would all use the default texture. When you created a ship though, you would be able to access a setting through the build block that would apply a different texture for that ship, which would be seen by everyone, no matter what texture they selected as default.

Clients would only have to download the texture packs for that server when they connected. All texture packs on the server should be required to have all the resolutions the game allows, and the resolution used by the client would be dependent on the resolution of the texture pack the user sets as the default texture.

It would require quite a bit of reworking to allow the game to display multiple textures at once, but other than that, not a whole lot of changes. There would be the change to set an entity's texture pack, and a change to the client to look at that setting when the entity is loaded.
    This sounds unnecessarily complicated, and like a server-eating feature, compared to just having a larger texture pack as I suggested. If it was technically feasible, I'd LOVE it, though.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold

Your workaround to implement this system already exists.
    If a server admin really wanted to, they could add a load of blocks and distribute the block config and textures to whitelisted players.

However having players download them on connection is a bad idea. the 256 pack is close to 50mb's.
    Having multiple texture packs dynamically loading and downloaded server side is still a terrible idea.

There is nothing to stop a user made extension of blocks for specific servers providing the players have a copy. (like the U.S.E mod).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Your workaround to implement this system already exists.
    If a server admin really wanted to, they could add a load of blocks and distribute the block config and textures to whitelisted players.

However having players download them on connection is a bad idea. the 256 pack is close to 50mb's.
    Having multiple texture packs dynamically loading and downloaded server side is still a terrible idea.

There is nothing to stop a user made extension of blocks for specific servers providing the players have a copy. (like the U.S.E mod).
    ...I know, and it's kind of awkward going in and downloading a texture pack just to play on a server... That's why I suggest a lot more decorative textures, as well as things like colored PlexDoors, within the default packs. Also, any blueprints made with those blocks won't carry over to other places. As I said, more consistency and vanilla options. Less relying on mods that don't work across servers. (which is why I don't play modded Minecraft very much, despite my having a short-ish list of around six mods I like (Thaumcraft, Mystcraft in creative mode, EBXL, the other biome mod whose name I don't remember, Natura, Tinker's Construct, Steve's Carts, and sometimes Buildcraft.))

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like every ship to have a look-up table for (block-id : (name : (type : texture))) or (block-id : [name, type, texture])

The client could decide which texture to show in place of block-id X by replacing block-ids before loading it into gpu-memory.

Wanna show a "Gold"-Block golden? Add a ("Gold" : [# id, # textures, # offset, y|n animation, ...]) (name : config) pair into your local configuration and texture pack..

An alias list ([name, type, texture, ...] : [name, type, texture]) could be sorted into a tree [name[type[texture : [name, type, texture]]]] when the game loads to enable fall-back blocks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    You know, at the beggining of this thread i was only asking if adding a few more decorative blocks to the vanilla game would be possible...

Somehow it got very complicated guys.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Just want to say, we should have some additional glass block colors too. Lots of ships from many different media have tinted or colored cockpits, visors, etc. It's possible to replicate colored visors by having a light source near them, but tinted isn't possible. Something simple like that shouldn't be a problem.