Rounder planets (gravity problem fix?)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was looking at a few topics and i saw many things on round planets and gravity issues that relate to that.. it took me while but i thought of this.. i took me ages to model..

This planet is like the normal flat ones but square and with 6 of them arranged like this.. they are also deeper than normal..

RED areas: this part has no gravity and upon entering you are no longer effected by gravity from the planet..
    GREEN areas: upon entering a 'green area' your gravity will be set to 'true' and it will be set in the direction the green arrow is facing this applys for the entire face.. so if you dig down gravity will stay in that direction.. if you leave the green area your gravity will then be set to 'false'
    YELLOW area: this is just a small part of the planet i made to show how the terrain may look like.. the rest of the planet is just for this basic diagram..
    THE CORE: that red part in the centre is the 'core' of the planet.. upon contact with it you will die instantly.. this also prevents digging straight down and the gravity being messed up.. (this is not exposed like in the image.. this was just to demonstrate what is there)

This is basically what new planets may look like.. basically square-ish planets with 6 faces and a lot of exposed earth.. but it would look pretty cool.. and they are a lot bigger than the flat ones due to it being like 6 normal planets positioned together :D

I might update this later and add other planets like this but of different types like the ice or desert ones :D i might even have another idea for these planets too :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why is it that any ideas i try to share here just gets ignored? what\'s going on?! Is this not a forum? i came to share ideas on how to improve starmade, but then it just gets ignored.. just pushed under the rug.. why?!

Ive made like.. 3 topics and not a single reply.. even on some topics that i comment on.. is there something wrong with me?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Generally, the problem is that the thread is getting pushed out of the way by other people\'s ideas. This is currently being worked on, as can be seen with the Suggestions section rules at the top of this section\'s topics.

Currently, I just update my main ideas thread every now and then, add a new idea, and get it bumped to the top again. I get a string of responses every week or so.

As for your idea: Schema has a plan for planets (the rather amusing Oreo design). While I remember having read reasons why he didn\'t want to do ideas like this, I can\'t find any right now. I remember the response being somewhere along the lines of: That would mean that planets could only expand upwards, not sideways. He didn\'t like that idea, if I remember correctly (this is from memory. If he didn\'t say this, my bad)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello i love your idea the basic cube that you have come up with shows it can be done ... if it will work with round plannets (witch im sure it will) i think it would be great i for one would love to see... either big cubed plannets or rounded ones. i hope this catches on!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would cause dones of glitching issues. This game is not ready to have something like this implemented. The normal planets are fine for now. I do like you idea and would give you originality points if this had not been thought of before.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The idea is great but schema has all but decided on the Oreo design which in a way is similar. As awesome as a cube planet would be I can\'t see it happening in the near future

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m glad i wasn\'t being ignored.. and im happy that some like my ideas :) is there anything that you\'d like to expand on this idea to make it better?

Currently gravity is set for the z axis (up and down) relative to the planets\' rotation.. so this will be tricky to code unless it was coded so one planet is 6 planets together and the gravity was set for each.. then it just requires the planets to spawn together in the positions as shown above and have only one atmosphere(that ball shape around the planet) otherwise the atmosphere will just look like a mess xD and ive finally been able to play again thanks to my new graphics card :D and i dont mind the current planets but soaring towards a planet and finding a flat rocky surface (the underside) of a planet is quite annoying with this design of mine it should give opportunity for rarer resources near the core of the planet and would stop finding the undersides of planets because the only way to do that is be in the core, in which you would die because you cannot enter the planet core without this happening.. another advantage to this is terrain can be in all directions, up down left right.. any way at all :D im not too sure about probems this planet formation may cause.. feel free to point any out..