round planets will never work lol nvm

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    @keptick: While I doubt that @ResonKinetic's suggestion will work, I'm really just trying to say that I have about the same attitude about the current planets as he/she does... They're, in a word, awkward. The edges are messy and disorienting, the design itself is offputting, and the way they're set up the entire planet has to load for it to be smooth... Etc. While more content on planets might mask the problem, it still won't fix it... There ARE solutions - several solutions, I believe. None of them ideal, but some much better. Personally, I'm a fan of much larger planets, with square(ish) segments, each perhaps 200x200... like this:

(Possibly with more segments)
    Ideally, the planets would look fairly smooth, and not all of the planet would have to load immediately for it to not look funky. But there are other ways to do it...
    More plates = more loading. Especially if you intend to keep them at a decent size.

Also the issues that people have with gravity, the sharp edges and things like loading are not only fixable, but have already been worked on a bit in dev builds. You cant say they aren't fixable issues when there hasn't been much of an attempt yet... schema wouldn't even have them there if he couldn't work on them further. And honestly. If you don't like the shape there's not much to do. That's a matter of opinion.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Planet now load 85% faster - which is Awesome!

We are using Cubes for the base Geometry. It simply doesn't work.

Google Cartography for Hundreds of years of distorted Map as a race of highly evolved Turbo-Monkeys attempt to map a sphere on a grid.

In all seriousness, these posts come up regularly, but it was extensively tested months ago, with a proof of concept shown in the News, complete with explanation (direct from Schema) on why it can vs cannot work.

:D

Reactions: Keptick and Criss