Rotator question

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm hoping to create a Gatling gun, but I'm already stuck with a simple rotator block. I want the rotator to continuously spin while I have it activated, and send a pulse each time it finishes a 45° rotation. It seems that if I restrict the rotator to 45° turns it doesn't give an attached button enough time to reset and reactivate the rotator.

Can anyone tell me how to set this up? Thanks.

Reaction score

I learned how in this video, also bench did one video about rotation

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm been wondering about this too since I was trying to get a rotating salvager up and running.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!

I learned how in this video, also bench did one video about rotation

Thanks - I've watched both of those videos previously, however, and neither one of them addresses my question. If you watch the linked videos you may note that neither of them actually show a button used to continuously spin a rotator set with 45° of rotation. I'm beginning to suspect that it can't be done at present.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you link the rotater to an active activation module, then it will rotater 45°. There are two ways of rotating endlessly. If you link the rotater to 9 active activation modules, it will set the rotation angle to endless. If you put a button directly next to the rotater and link it to the rotater, whenever the rotater finishes rotating, it will send a signal to the button which will tell it to rotate again. So since you want it to only spin while you have it activated, instead of a button, use an AND-gate. Link the rotater and an activation module to the AND-gate, and link the AND-gate to the rotater. It has to be directly next to the rotater or else it will just make whatever's rotating undock. The rotater should also be linked to a single active activation module so it spins 45° at a time. You can even use the same activation module that is linked to the AND-gate I think. So when the rotating thing finishes rotating, it will send a signal to the AND-gate, and it the activation module is also on, it will be told to rotate again.

Edit: Sorry for the wall of text XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Based on your description, the rotator will only rotate 45° and then stop.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    No, it will send a signal to the AND-gate next to it, if the activation module's activated (the other input to the AND-gate, along with the rotater), the AND-gate will tell the rotater to rotate again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    As a sort of work-around, I've set a Button next to the rotator block (set to 90°) and connected a Not-Signal to the bButton. When the rotator finishes its rotation it activates the Button. The Button turns off for a split second before being activated again, triggering the Not-Signal. This setup will trigger all eight barrels on the gun, but the timing is off, so that rather than firing from the top-most barrel as I would like, the firing point slowly shifts position around the circle.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1437333157,1437332979][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No, it will send a signal to the AND-gate next to it, if the activation module's activated (the other input to the AND-gate, along with the rotater), the AND-gate will tell the rotater to rotate again.
    I'd like to think so, but I built everything as you described and that was my result. The And turns on and stays on, and the rotator stops rotating.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I believe I may have it :D
    Turn it on by pressing the button. The activator and the button both activate at alternating 90 degrees. I hooked them both up to an OR-gate but it just seems to stay on :(

Also, I'm not the best at logic, I've no clue why this works XD

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I believe I may have it :D
    Turn it on by pressing the button. The activator and the button both activate at alternating 90 degrees. I hooked them both up to an OR-gate but it just seems to stay on :(

Also, I'm not the best at logic, I've no clue why this works XD
    I'm not sure I'm following. You didn't have a button in your original layout (other than the one you replaced with an AND-Signal?)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1437420263,1437420028][/DOUBLEPOST]
    you can find a constant-rotation demo on my rail rotator tutorial ship:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/ninewerks-products-rail-rotator-beginner-tutorial.2827/
    I downloaded the .zip file, but I don't recognize the file types within. What am I looking for?

If I wasn't clear in my original post, I do know how to make a rotator spin continuously, but I've yet to find a way to do so while having it send a pulse at 45° increments.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    here is my solution for a one-button toggling 45' rotation.
    it requires 3 (optional 4) blocks:

CLOCKWISE FROM TOP RIGHT:

1) rotator

• where you'll dock your rotating device.
    2) button
    • place this block facet-adjacent (directly next to) your 1) rotator. for cosmetic purposes, i usually put this "underneath" it (opposite the face with the docked entity). wire this button into your 1) rotator.
    • press the button. 1) rotator will re-pulse 2) button, making it rotate continuously.
    • optional: take an output off this button if you want an indicator light for the unit having completed a rotation
    3) activation module
    • this will be your on/off switch. place it somewhere you can get to it.
    • wire 3) activation module into 2) button. this activation module now generates the pulse that will kick off your rotation from a standstill.
    • wire 1) rotator to 3) activation module. this sets this 3) activation module as a toggle between "0 degree" and "45 degree" rotation settings for your rotator block, effectively making it an "off" switch - even if the button re-pulses the rotator, the rotation is now set to 0, making it fizzle and producing no rotation. when the activation module is re-activated, rotation is re-set to 45' from 0, the button gets a pulse, and the unit begins to rotate continuously until turned off from this switch.
    4) rail speed controller (optional)
    • wire this to your 1) rotator and 3) activation module.
    • add additional activation modules wired from this unit to slow your rotator down to a desired speed.
    • note: the rail speed controller is a must-have for devices you wish to persist in rotation through a sector unload / reload.

if, as i suspect, what you are really after is a light that can blink "faster" than a button's 1/2 second logic pulse to simulate the kinds of light cast off by a gattling gun, what you really need is an array of lights powered by a strobe generator, in which case i humbly suggest the following template:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/ninewerks-products-strobe-lights.2825/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    here is my solution for a one-button toggling 45' rotation.
    it requires 3 (optional 4) blocks:

CLOCKWISE FROM TOP RIGHT:

1) rotator

• where you'll dock your rotating device.
    2) button
    • place this block facet-adjacent (directly next to) your 1) rotator. for cosmetic purposes, i usually put this "underneath" it (opposite the face with the docked entity). wire this button into your 1) rotator.
    • press the button. 1) rotator will re-pulse 2) button, making it rotate continuously.
    • optional: take an output off this button if you want an indicator light for the unit having completed a rotation
    3) activation module
    • this will be your on/off switch. place it somewhere you can get to it.
    • wire 3) activation module into 2) button. this activation module now generates the pulse that will kick off your rotation from a standstill.
    • wire 1) rotator to 3) activation module. this sets this 3) activation module as a toggle between "0 degree" and "45 degree" rotation settings for your rotator block, effectively making it an "off" switch - even if the button re-pulses the rotator, the rotation is now set to 0, making it fizzle and producing no rotation. when the activation module is re-activated, rotation is re-set to 45' from 0, the button gets a pulse, and the unit begins to rotate continuously until turned off from this switch.
    4) rail speed controller (optional)
    • wire this to your 1) rotator and 3) activation module.
    • add additional activation modules wired from this unit to slow your rotator down to a desired speed.
    • note: the rail speed controller is a must-have for devices you wish to persist in rotation through a sector unload / reload.

if, as i suspect, what you are really after is a light that can blink "faster" than a button's 1/2 second logic pulse to simulate the kinds of light cast off by a gattling gun, what you really need is an array of lights powered by a strobe generator, in which case i humbly suggest the following template:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/ninewerks-products-strobe-lights.2825/
    Given how well you described everything, I don't know what I could be missing, yet the circuit shown isn't working. When I turn on the activation module, the rotator spins 45°, as always, but it stops at that point. This is a problem I've had any time I've connected a rotator to an activation module - when the activation module is turned on it only sends a single pulse to the rotator and doesn't react to the rotator after that.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    Given how well you described everything, I don't know what I could be missing, yet the circuit shown isn't working. When I turn on the activation module, the rotator spins 45°, as always, but it stops at that point. This is a problem I've had any time I've connected a rotator to an activation module - when the activation module is turned on it only sends a single pulse to the rotator and doesn't react to the rotator after that.
    strange! if you upload your ship to starmadedock, i'd be happy to download it and take a look, or meet you on a server sometime.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    strange! if you upload your ship to starmadedock, i'd be happy to download it and take a look, or meet you on a server sometime.
    I've never been able to successfully upload anything to the site. I browse to the folder where a blueprint is located and it is invariably empty. I don't know what file it's looking for, and the fact that the site doesn't bother to tell me suggests that they're not interested. ;)

It's academic - the gatling gun I've thus far created doesn't have the circuit it needs to spin the barrels properly. I have a placeholder on the ship until someone comes to my rescue. I simply drop down a new ship core when someone suggests a new circuit and test if it will do the job or not. Everything is built in singleplayer where I can use admin commands before loading the blueprint up to the Shattered Skies server for final build.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    I came to a disappointing conclusion when I tried my hand at this. While I was able to develop an auto-rotator clock that output 8 discreet pulses per rotation I found that wireless logic lag garbled the signal timing getting to the cannon computers in the barrels. Since the logic is compact the next attempt moved it into the barrels which produces a decent working model but now the ship has to dock to the barrels and can no longer move.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I came to a disappointing conclusion when I tried my hand at this. While I was able to develop an auto-rotator clock that output 8 discreet pulses per rotation I found that wireless logic lag garbled the signal timing getting to the cannon computers in the barrels. Since the logic is compact the next attempt moved it into the barrels which produces a decent working model but now the ship has to dock to the barrels and can no longer move.
    So now you spin the whole ship whenever you fire the gun! :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    At this point, I'd ask the question, "is this working as intended or should it be considered a bug?" From what I've seen, it doesn't seem possible to activate logic at 45° increments and create constant rotation.