Rotating the Cockpit's view [Dead Thread]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I know this has come up in a few threads , but I wanted to make a consolidated thread about this.

There's currently no way to see behind your ship, or on top, bottom, or sides, without constantly switching in/out of build mode. Rotating the cockpit does not rotate the view.

I would prefer if I could just rotate the cockpit 180 degrees for instance, put it at the back of my ship, and be able to see the pirates chasing me.

Movement relative to either the character or the ship doesn't really matter, there's good arguments for both, whichever easier would work.

Reactions: Ciggofwar

Ciggofwar

Home of Titan Guard
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You can also use Shift and mouse wheel scroll to get a behind view, which does take one out of the cockpit view or immersed feel of fighting, having the rear cam would be quite welcomed, or placed cam views also would aid in maneuvering docking etc...

Reactions: Fwyrl
    Reaction score
    I would love to have broad side cannons, and to have the camera be able to switch to look port or starboard would be awesome.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I would love to have broad side cannons, and to have the camera be able to switch to look port or starboard would be awesome.
    Actually, as I found out just today, surfing the forums, you CAN rotate AMCs, you just rotate the computer, instead of the weapons. So, you can fire out the side of the ship, you just can't see what you're firing AT right now :P

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    I have not had this problem with cockpit(s). I assume the most recent version of the game is being used? (not a dev build)

I place one cockpit pointing forward, and one pointing backwards. While in the core, I can toggle different views (with the space bar or arrow keys L & R). So I can see any view from my ship with different cockpits pointing in different directions. I cannot do this with a single cockpit, so I apologize if I misunderstood. The cockpit views for me are next to each other, and with the arrow keys I don't have to see build mode.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    To the best of my knowledge, no matter what direction the cockpit block is facing, while in the cockpit, you always see in the z+ direction (towards the front of the ship). What I am talking about is, if you rotate a cockpit to face, say x- (to the left, when facing the front of the ship), then while in the cockpit, your view faces x- as well, not z+, as it currently does.

So if I place a cockpit at the back of my ship, facing in the z- direction (towards the back of the ship), I want to see behind me, looking backwards, not see the inside of my ship, looking z+ (towards the front of the ship).

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    To the best of my knowledge, no matter what direction the cockpit block is facing, while in the cockpit, you always see in the z+ direction (towards the front of the ship). What I am talking about is, if you rotate a cockpit to face, say x- (to the left, when facing the front of the ship), then while in the cockpit, your view faces x- as well, not z+, as it currently does.

So if I place a cockpit at the back of my ship, facing in the z- direction (towards the back of the ship), I want to see behind me, looking backwards, not see the inside of my ship, looking z+ (towards the front of the ship).
    Wait, you're saying you can get in the cockpit? (as in, go from spaceman, press R and get inside like you would a core?) If so, I've never been able to do that, I didn't think that was possible. If it was, what would be the point of seeing different directions if you're not flying the ships? I figure if the one building the ship wanted to allow people to see out, they'd put windows.

Otherwise, while flying the ship, I operate different cockpit views as I mentioned before.

Reaction score
    A backwards facing Cockpit block will indeed align the view backwards. However, as soon as I switch to that camera, the ship start's spinning uncontrollably and will become unresponsive to controls. But yeah, that should really be fixed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Wait, you're saying you can get in the cockpit? (as in, go from spaceman, press R and get inside like you would a core?) If so, I've never been able to do that, I didn't think that was possible. If it was, what would be the point of seeing different directions if you're not flying the ships? I figure if the one building the ship wanted to allow people to see out, they'd put windows.

Otherwise, while flying the ship, I operate different cockpit views as I mentioned before.
    What I'm saying is that if I put multiple cockpits on a ship, I'd like to me able to make them face different directions, so when I switch my view there, I can see off to the side of, or out the back of my ship.

A backwards facing Cockpit block will indeed align the view backwards. However, as soon as I switch to that camera, the ship start's spinning uncontrollably and will become unresponsive to controls. But yeah, that should really be fixed.
    I didn't know that it even let you change how the view rotates. >.>

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    As long as your cockpit is facing backwards/left/right, you should see out of that view. You change the orientation of the block in advanced build mode (holding ctrl) of course before placing the block. As long as you do that, and the camera-end of the block is facing the direction you want, you should be able to see in any direction your cockpits do. If this is still not the case, and you are certain there is a glitch/bug, then I'd suggest sending in a bug report. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Ah, that must have been implemented since I last checked if core rotation worked.

I'll mark this thread as dead.

Don't post anything else, let it die.