Rotating Docks

Want this? Or is it to specific

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I imagine most would find this too minor a suggestion, and probably wouldnt use it, but i'll see what you guys think.
    Basicly i'd like somekind of block with mechanics similar to a docking module, but the object docked with it rotates. Interacting with the block would bring up a menu where you could set the rotation speed, intervals between rotations (0 being continuous) and degrees the docked object rotates through before it stops (ignored if interval is set to 0).
    A way of doing it with docking, and therefore not worrying about having to use enhancers, would be for it to spawn a block, that would be able to rotate, directly on top of it when it's placed and build off of that.

While this might sound a little pointless, if you stop and think about it for a second, and take the creativity of the community into account, you'll realise this can have a great many uses towards more interesting ship designs. I imagine people would love automaticly moving parts on their ships. Personally the first thing i'd do with it would be to build a very sci-fi looking generator made up of rotating rings. I've also a fun idea to build a fighter showroom where they're all slowly rotating like its a fancy auto show :)

If something like this has been suggested before, and it may well have been, i apologise and everyone should just ignore this.

Reaction score
    Yea something like this would be very good for aesthetics of ships and even functionality, aswell as being able to have ships in orbit around things like stations and planets, good idea

Reaction score
    This might become possible with turret docks with the upcoming updates.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This might become possible with turret docks with the upcoming updates.
    I don't think the turret docks will allow for constant spinning/rotation. This suggestion is for like a rotating gravity ring on a ship or a rotating radar dish

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Rotor? Rotor anyone? Is it not pretty similar to rotor idea? Except it's called dock block?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think I would use it for rotating shield/armour plates to avoid core-drilling as a whole circle has to be destroyed. if possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You mean this? http://starmadedock.net/threads/mechanical-blocks-rotors-and-rails.424/
    I hadn't seen that suggestion, but i would say i explained how it would work better. I do like itmauve's idea about moving things "on rails" though, but it think that will take a little more thought to set up, like how the game knows how much that is connected to it needs to move, like if its just the blocks connected direcly to aa rail block, or everything connected to it, but then the object moving would have to be in a open area, so you couldnt do doors etc with it. Stuff like overhead cranes would work fine though, but wouldnt with the first method.

NeonSturm Thats a great idea, i'd love to see that ship!

Last edited by a moderator:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But now I see a flaw in my idea:
    What if the "rotor"-docking block get shot down?

It would need another rotating plate protecting it.
    And this would again need another rotating plate protecting it's own sweet spot.

At least it would avoid core-drilling being the only viable mechanic :D but I would like multiple redundant spots be viable though.
    Like if it counts the furthest available connected docking enhancer, so that the enemy has to shot a whole side and partially two others to reduce the docking area size enough.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was thinking that it would work using the linking system.