Rotate block in-place

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would like to see a method to rotate an existing placed block rather than having to remove and replace the block. perhaps this could be a checkbox in the advanced build menu.

The main reason is that I previously rotated weapon computers for aesthetic reasons, or just to be able to recognize them since the side/back textures are often nearly identical. I didn't learn until afterward, via the forum, that this was meant to alter the firing direction of the connected weapons. (That actually doesn't make much sense to me, that firing direction is based on computer rotation rather than weapon block rotation.) It can be difficult to locate all of the existing weapon blocks in order to reconnect them after replacing the computer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I can't remember if its alt, ctrl or shift. But holding down one of those when connecting a weapon block to a computer will connect all adjoining weapon blocks aswell. So that should sort you out :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    left shift + v will connect all touching weapons to the computer.

Yeah I am a little bummed by the sideways shooting guns, they probably should just rename from "computer" to "control" and remove the computer screen from the texture so you don't make this mistake. I more often than not have my computers in the walls of my core room.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If it's possible (the blocks might all share the non-face texture), I'd say put the face texture on every side for your own convenience. Modifying the textures for your needs is always possible.

Reaction score
    I've also encountered difficulties because of this functionality (or lack of additional functionality). I faced my various weapons and system computers from the walls facing in and didn't think anything of it, and then went to stuffing all of the connected blocks in to all the nooks and crannies where they would fit on my considerably large ship. Now after some time using the ship, the locking missiles I have attached occasionally fire out sideways (not all the time- perhaps a bug?) when I shoot them without a lock, while the Antimatter Cannons (which are also mounted sideways) fire forward almost all the time with the exception of a stray volly which shoots sideways perhaps 1 out of 20 shots.

All support techs (Astrobeam, Powersupply/Drain, Salvage) fire out the sides of the ship 100% of the time, but they are not aimable- unless I enter the control computer for the Salvage or Technobeam. If I enter those computers the beams now fire forward and are controllable, but aren't available from the ship core or cockpit blocks.

As a result I now have the endeavor of removing the CPUs, reorienting them, replacing them, and then doing a build-mode scavenger hunt through all the dark corners of the ship for all associated blocks and re-assigning them correctly (support, effect, and each individual cannon group all). I COULD use the handy L Shift + V trick mentioned above, but many of my support cannons are in direct contact with the "Bang" cannons, and selecting all attached groups will mess up my fire rate and damage ratios.

The ability to select a block and rotate in place while preserving the connected blocks would completely save my butt in this situation, and make what is a difficult and complicated fix into a 1-2-done issue with no fuss. Alternatively, assigning the direction of fire based on the orientation of the "Origin" block for a weapon or piece of equipment would also make this an easy fix. As it stands me and three of my friends have loaded... more hours than I care to admit in building our capital ship, generally assuming the sideways behavior was just the result of generic bugs that everyone has to deal with.

Getting a rude awakening when other ships weapons and hardware consistently fire forward was a bit of a trick :/

Either way, i've been impressed with schema and the guys' dedication and the amount of development progress that's consistently being made, so i've got hope and enthusiasm for a fix! Also, i'd invite some investigation into the relationships between cockpits, core blocks, and attached computers w/ supports and effects and the firing forward/sideways behaviors, as my experience with these behaviors has been inconsistent and left me wondering exactly how all these things are *supposed* to be working as well as how they actually work.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I made a suggestion in another forum for a new block type, that I think would help. The Barrel block. This would define where the weapon fires and in what direction, allow two-part turrets that move and shoot they way they should, and would free you to rearrange your weapon blocks any way you see fit.

I think it would be a neat, role-play-ey thing if you needed to buy and select an expensive "remote wrench" personal beam to rotate blocks. It would be something worthy to earn and would fit in nicely with the game's existing aesthetic. In every block game I have seen, someone feels the need to build a wrench or screwdriver tool to rotate blocks. Might as well head 'em off at the pass and put it in the default game!

I think the sideways missile thing is a (little-)known game mechanic by design.