RIP everything

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    This is a stick of power and guns

It makes 400.000 power with 850.000 capacity, matching the weapon's drain.

It fires 13 rounds every two seconds from the business end, triggered by the logic in the fun end

Stick them in a circle and you get a minigun

This thing used to make me happy but now it just makes me sad. I made this to beat the power limitations, but since power has been changed you could easily make a gun that does the exact same thing without any of the drawbacks:

• Huge spinny thing requires lots of mass enhancers and open space to allow rotation
    • Big weakpoint vulnerable to damage
    • Complexity of construction; took 6 iterations on it to get timing and logic to auto-recover from outages and general sillyness.
    The design is still solid and perfectly scaleable, but this weapon is no longer viable at this size. The much simpler solution is just 2 components docked on top of each other since the bottom one can fire through the one attached on top of it. They don't need to rotate, fires from the same spot every time, are more power efficient since you only need capacity for 2 seconds between shots, and aren't prone to rail malfunctions.

This gun would need to be twice it's size before it would have any advantages at all, and it's allready oversized for a 15k mass ship. Sure it still functions like it did before, but its no long good because simpler solutions are made viable now.

I've had plans for arranging multiple of these for much larger ships, but now what's the point in that? my quadruble minigun turret would be too large for a titan if kept in efficient ranges.

I prefer making ships in the bad power range, because there's much more to be gained by creative solutions; after all without adversity there's no reason to do anything different. People saying you can just remove power generation if you have too much clearly don't care about making efficient designs; none of the ships i've made in the past 6 months can be "updated" to be efficient, because the designs that were efficient no longer are; they need to be remade from scratch.

Anyway, post stuff in this thread this update destroyed. :(

Reactions: GnomeKing and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    They've already said that in two weeks the power is going to change pretty drastically, both the council and bench verified that this update broke some things a little unintentionally, and that the curve will more than likely be adjusted significantly to bring back the validity of old designs while still upping to overall cap (without straight doubling power). Dont get so ready to trash all your blueprints just yet. Give it two weeks, make some interiors or just goof off, and things will be back to a stable state.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I love the minigun, I made of pair of them on a frigate using a similar design idea, to make some serious cannons that didnt use the mothership's power.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    IRL we have out-dated computers running SM at 1 FPS. Now your ship is out-dated. It added realism, or not? :p

The problem is not the update, but how power works. Power on the entity it is used should always be better.

But why do you not just make a single faster-firing gun or make them behind each other?
    OO E OO E OO
    E OO E OO E O
    E OO E OO E O
    O=weapons, E=effects

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    IRL we have out-dated computers running SM at 1 FPS. Now your ship is out-dated. It added realism, or not? :p
    You want realism, go the fuck outside

But why do you not just make a single faster-firing gun or make them behind each other?
    The point wasnt faster gun, it was power-efficient design. why make this instead of a regular ass can/can that you can aim without rotating your entire fucking ship?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You want realism, go the fuck outside
    The point wasnt faster gun, it was power-efficient design. why make this instead of a regular ass can/can that you can aim without rotating your entire fucking ship?
    (1) was a joke
    (2) you can get a power-efficient non-rotating design too. Even inside a casing that looks like if it is rotating.
    If entities shooting each other is an issue, make a upper and lower output 1 block distance and rails moving along 1 axis like an electrical razor).
    The 2 sides give each other time to go backward.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm still hung up on how you managed to make it rotate so smoothly... I kinda want to do something like this for a space station "power core".

How'd you pull it off, Raisinbat ?

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    (1) was a joke
    It wasn't funny

(2) you can get a power-efficient non-rotating design too. Even inside a casing that looks like if it is rotating.
    If entities shooting each other is an issue, make a upper and lower output 1 block distance and rails moving along 1 axis like an electrical razor).
    The 2 sides give each other time to go backward.
    Show me a working design like this, because from trying my design you need at least 4 blocks clearance on a moving ship, and that's with ZERO blocks in front of the firing block.

I'm still hung up on how you managed to make it rotate so smoothly... I kinda want to do something like this for a space station "power core".
    I'm not sure what you're asking; single button next to rail rotator should give smooth rotation.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Show me a working design like this, because from trying my design you need at least 4 blocks clearance on a moving ship, and that's with ZERO blocks in front of the firing block.
    →O O
    O O
    O O
    O O←
    The middle of this square has 2 outputs above/below each other which switch cannon-outputs.

4 outputs and probably lower wasted space as if you put everything in the perimeter of a circle.

Independent of how big this will be, it only wastes 49% of the space which the barrel probably also does. But this is easier to build.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    →O O
    O O
    O O
    O O←
    The middle of this square has 2 outputs above/below each other which switch cannon-outputs.

4 outputs and probably lower wasted space as if you put everything in the perimeter of a circle.

Independent of how big this will be, it only wastes 49% of the space which the barrel probably also does. But this is easier to build.
    This is a doodle, not a working design. Come back when you can fire that from a moving ship

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

How'd you pull it off, Raisinbat ?
    I've noticed that smooth rotation really depends on the PC your using, or, if on multiplayer, how many people are on the server/server specs. Things I've made in single player that run like well-oiled machines can choke out on a server, just because the number of players online.